WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:49:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14
Author Topic: WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign  (Read 11968 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »

Session would've been confirmed even if he said "yes i met up with Russian Ambassador". this is amateur hour mistakes.

He wasn't even asked about his contacts with the Russian ambassador. It's like he heard the question and immediately went into a guilty panic of "deny everything!"
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »

Welp, as expected, the usual posters have swooped in and vigorously denied this is relevant at all. I commend their energy in this thread in defending dear leader.

I'm not sure we even need to create actual threads for this anymore. We could even make mock threads that would be pretty accurate, going as follows:

1. anti-Trump people post news about Trump admin official lying about talks with Russian officials, or other ties to Russia
2. pro-Trump people descend from their perch and aggressively deny the story has any relevance at all, or is fake news, and that this is all pathetic desperation / libruhl tears / etc.
3. Hijinks ensue
4. End thread due to rapid degradation in quality of discussion

We actually reached (4) last night, but that was cleaned up and bought us all more time.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »

Manchin - If he lied he should resign
Trapsy

« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »

We could use a Russian reset right about now.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2017, 10:55:02 AM »

Btw, for those towing the, "It doesn't count because it was in his role as a Senator, and there's no reason to think they discussed the election" line, one of these meetings occurred at a Heritage Foundation event at the Republican National Convention!

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/321930-sessions-spoke-with-russian-ambassador-during-trumps-campaign

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My God! the ambassador of a large country to a more powerful country asked to speak to a senior elected official of the country he was ambassador to? Surely such a thing never normally happens, why would it?

You are willfully missing the point. Literally nothing you just said responds to my post, so why are you quoting me? The problem isn't that he met with the Russian ambassador. Nobody is denying that a Senator on the Armed Services Committee might meet with the Russian ambassador in the regular course of business. The problem is that he lied about it. Furthermore, the problem is that while Sessions's defense to the accusation of lying is that he was implicitly making a distinction between communications made in his role as a senator vs his role as part of the Trump campaign, that excuse is undercut by the fact that one of these meetings occurred at a political event at Trump's nominating convention.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »

Session would've been confirmed even if he said "yes i met up with Russian Ambassador". this is amateur hour mistakes.

Now it looks like he lied.

It doesn't *look* like he lied; he lied.

Yes exactly, he could have sat there, sang the Russian National Anthem, and boasted about how Glorious Putin would crush the pathetic, decadent West which had been degraded by (((Globalists))) and sodomites and how the Trump Administration's policy was designed to prevent White Genocide and he STILL would have gotten confirmed. This is either lying for the sake of lying or there's much, much more to the story than has been revealed.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2017, 11:15:56 AM »

Senator Rob Portman says Sessions should recuse himself

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2017, 11:16:50 AM »

At absolute minimum, he had weeks to prepare for this confirmation hearing, and he had to know Russia would come up. That he couldn't find a better response to this line of questioning only confirms the very base assumption about the Trump administration:

They are completely and pathetically in over their heads. There may be no grand conspiracy here, but it's pretty clear that this team is 100% amateur hour.

And that's the most charitable interpretation I can make. If I'm being honest, I'm pretty sure the Trump campaign was getting info on Clinton from Russia and was coordinating with a foreign power to ensure they'd win. Now, they're getting caught.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »

what a spineless, radical moderate, traitor of..... wait, what? Wink
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2017, 11:23:04 AM »

If I'm being honest, I'm pretty sure the Trump campaign was getting info on Clinton from Russia and was coordinating with a foreign power to ensure they'd win. Now, they're getting caught.

I would not go that far.  I haven't seen anything to suggest that Trump was secretly getting info directly from the Russians.  But that's not really necessary for it to be a big scandal.  If the info was flowing the other way--that is, Trump people were giving private signals to the Russians about what Trump's foreign policy would look like--that's also a huge scandal IMHO.  The Russians were reported to be behind the DNC hack, and the Trump people knew this.  Giving them hints that Trump would have a foreign policy favorable to them is effectively encouraging them to continue to interfere in the election on Trump's behalf.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »

Still not okay with Manchin, but wow.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »

If I'm being honest, I'm pretty sure the Trump campaign was getting info on Clinton from Russia and was coordinating with a foreign power to ensure they'd win. Now, they're getting caught.

I would not go that far.  I haven't seen anything to suggest that Trump was secretly getting info directly from the Russians.  But that's not really necessary for it to be a big scandal.  If the info was flowing the other way--that is, Trump people were giving private signals to the Russians about what Trump's foreign policy would look like--that's also a huge scandal IMHO.  The Russians were reported to be behind the DNC hack, and the Trump people knew this.  Giving them hints that Trump would have a foreign policy favorable to them is effectively encouraging them to continue to interfere in the election on Trump's behalf.

This is the bare minimum. There are suggestions it's worse, but the bare minimum is bad enough
EnglishPete

« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2017, 11:30:44 AM »

https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/837307103370952706
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »

like david frum says all the time...

this is not a case for a special prosecutor, cause those only look on specific criminal acts.....would need to be BIGGER.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »

stupid woman - not the time to make a story about herself and still can't get it right.

otherwise pointless.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »

She didnt lie in front of congress though.

And McCaskill corrected herself and said she'd never had a one on one meeting with the Russians.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2017, 11:37:34 AM »

If Manchin is saying Sessions should resign, this has legs.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2017, 11:38:21 AM »

If Manchin is saying Sessions should resign, this has legs.

No.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:36 AM »

Manchin isn't exactly a stalwart of liberal justice.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »

What a convincing argument.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2017, 11:43:11 AM »

I did not know an opposition party could get any stupider than circa 2011 Republicans, but Democrats sure as heck are trying to outdo them. I don't blame them since the strategy got them the Presidency (?). Or at least in spite of that strategy, it didn't cost them the Presidency.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »

The honeymoon lasted less than 24 hours. The Administration is an embarrassment, and we will not be safe from Russian infiltration/blackmail until every member of the Trump Administration is gone.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2017, 11:49:24 AM »

If J.B. Session the Third of KKK fame is forced to recuse himself so an independent special prosecutor or career Justice officials investigate the Trump - Russian connection, that would be awesome and well worth the drama we're kicking up over this.

Every angle must be explored and every storm must be kicked up. It all leads us to the road where Trumpy and the Russians may have collaborated to win an election.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »

He's going to end up recusing himself,  just relax.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »

If J.B. Session the Third of KKK fame is forced to recuse himself so an independent special prosecutor or career Justice officials investigate the Trump - Russian connection, that would be awesome and well worth the drama we're kicking up over this.

Every angle must be explored and every storm must be kicked up. It all leads us to the road where Trumpy and the Russians may have collaborated to win an election.

Good luck with all that. Trump will serve his term and continue his path towards being one of the greatest men ever to serve as president.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies