Katie Hill resigning from office (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:25:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Katie Hill resigning from office (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Katie Hill resigning from office  (Read 23135 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« on: October 19, 2019, 03:56:54 PM »

I absolutely don't care if Hill is in a polyamorous relationship.
And I don't really care if she cheated on her husband.

But it sounds like she was sleeping with multiple staffers.  Which is either nepotism or abuse of power or both, and very much not cool.

Hill should announce the she is resigning on whatever day Trump chooses to resign for the multitude of instances of much worse abuse he has committed.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 08:50:02 PM »

If the President of the United States refuses to step down for breaking the law, then why should a member of Congress step down for doing nothing illegal?
Isn't it just rotten luck for the GOP that this didn't come out before the 2017 election? Lol. Anyway, this isn't right and Northam should resign.

That is something that could call into question one's ability to govern fairly for all citizens.
And affairs also do as they could be used as blackmail evidence. This is why the FBI used to fire anyone who was found to be having one. Same principle with David Petraeus too.

The fact that Trump has eroded standards is not an argument for giving up on them entirely, it's also stupid whataboutery.

So all politicians should be automatically disqualified for having an affair?
Yes?

What really should matter is whether a politician does her/his job well, and disqualifying such person because of having an affair is just stupid, as long as said affair doesn't interfere with her or his performance. When you start to enforce an inflexible "personal morality" limitus test, it's going to do more damage than good.

In Hill's case, while sleeping with your staffer is pretty problematic (and if there's an indication of professionally inappropriate conduct, then she should resign), I'm not even sure we could call it an "affair", given she apparently is in open marriage.

My read of the story was that she first put a woman on her staff that she and her husband were already sleeping with.  Separately, she later started sleeping with another man on her staff without her husband’s knowledge.  The second would be the “affair”.  

But I don’t really think her relationship with husband has anything to do with what makes this problematic.  It’s her professional relationship with the other two people.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »

Having said that the fact she’s had relationships with at least two subordinates is worthy of at least a cursory investigation to make sure nothing untoward happened.

For me the saddest thing is that things like this when seized upon are often used to justify/promote biphobia by implying bisexuality is synonymous with infidelity and polyamory.

In completely separate instances, she (a) started sleeping with someone who was already her subordinate; and (b) hired someone that she was already sleeping with.

For me the saddest thing is to see people who might otherwise be positive public representations of polyamory or nonmonogamy behave so abominably in their professional life.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »

So it looks like my initial assessment of this was a bit off.

Based on learning that (a) there is no actual evidence of an affair with her finance director and (b) the other girl involved here was a campaign staffer, not a congressional staffer, I don’t really think Hill has much to apologize for.

I suppose hiring someone you’re secretly sleeping with onto your campaign staff isn’t ideal, but it’s quite a bit different that hiring them onto the government payroll.

I couldn’t care less if she had a consensual nonmonogamous relationship or smoked marijuana at some point in the past.  And the idea that she has a -Nazi tattoo- is laughably implausible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies