Do you think that Hillary Clinton is a generally honest person?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:49:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do you think that Hillary Clinton is a generally honest person?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you think that Hillary Clinton is a generally honest person?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 126

Author Topic: Do you think that Hillary Clinton is a generally honest person?  (Read 2046 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »

I think Hillarys main drawback is her perception of dishonesty.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »

I think her problem is that she doesn't like giving yes/no answers, because she knows things are more complicated than yes/no, so you get situations like the debates and interviews where the moderators/interviewer literally demands a yes/no response and she starts going into nuance and detail and in effect says "I can't give you a yes/no answer" and they keep pressing her and she finally gets exasperated and gives a yes/no answer, but to viewers watching who want simple answers to complex problems, they view this as "dancing around the question".

You can see this all the time in comment sections of interviews when these questions are asked, with many politicians from any party: "Why can't they just answer the question!?!?!" = "This person isn't giving us a response that's easy to understand. They must have something to hide".

She's a detail-oriented policy wonk, not smooth like Obama and her husband who know how to play to what voters want without coming off as a policy lightweight.

But to answer the yes/no question: Tongue

She's no more dishonest than your average politician. Voted yes
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 04:21:13 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2016, 04:23:46 PM by RaphaelDLG »

In private, I assume she's honest and trustworthy. In public, she's cynical and deceptive.

I think I agree with this.  I imagine based on what I hear she's actually a blunt no BS straight shooter with her colleagues and subordinates.  Obviously she is the consummate phony politician in public.

Which doesn't really bother me, to be honest.

Whether she's honest or not in most cases does not affect me, and at any rate in a good system with sunlight, journalism watchdogs and checks and balances her honesty is irrelevant.

What I don't like about Hillary Clinton are her fundamental political goals and values, because those are the things that have a direct effect on my life.

I'd gladly vote for some backstabbing, tricky, uncouth, foul-mouthed, two-faced, adulterous bastard if I knew that they would get me campaign finance reform, environmental standards, no wars, a public option, and a better educational system.

So someone can be a fundamentally dishonest, horrible person as long as I trust them to be committed to some sort of bedrock political goals/principles.  I guess a certain type of honesty does play into that trust.  But other types of honesty are irrelevant.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 04:30:10 PM »

In private, I assume she's honest and trustworthy. In public, she's cynical and deceptive.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 06:57:44 AM »

I think Hillary's main drawback is her perception of dishonesty.

Hmm. I think Hillary's main drawback is her dishonesty.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »

Yes.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 03:44:39 PM »

>2016
>cares about if politicians are honest
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »

Ted never lied about coming under fire in Bosnia, I think the Ben Carson thing is trivial compared to basically making sh**t up when your in a warzone. At best she's no more honest than Brian Williams.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »

Ted never lied about coming under fire in Bosnia,

No, just about everything else.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 05:58:55 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2016, 06:01:23 PM by evergreen »

Ted never lied about coming under fire in Bosnia,

however, he did lie about murdering at least five people in california during the late '60s/early '70s, which some people might say is slightly worse.
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »

Ted never lied about coming under fire in Bosnia, I think the Ben Carson thing is trivial compared to basically making sh**t up when your in a warzone. At best she's no more honest than Brian Williams.

Thank you. Anyone who says Hillary Clinton is a "generally honest person" can't be older than 20 or so.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 06:03:28 PM »

She's relatively honest for a politician, but that's not saying much.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »

I mean Brian Williams did it his career basically ended. Hillary does it and its basically a footnote in history, do you think if any other politicians did that they would get away with it?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »

I mean Brian Williams did it his career basically ended. Hillary does it and its basically a footnote in history, do you think if any other politicians did that they would get away with it?

There's no accountability in politics.  George W. Bush misled (see: lied) the country into invading Iraq and now is seen as one of the less divisive figures in the Republican Party.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 08:10:38 PM »

There's no accountability in politics.  George W. Bush misled (see: lied) the country into invading Iraq and now is seen as one of the less divisive figures in the Republican Party.
Not even most Democrats believe that Bush lied about WMD to invade Iraq. It's reasonable to think that the Bush administration were so eager to invade Iraq that they wanted to believe unreliable/incorrect intelligence, but the idea that Bush flat out lied about WMD is false. Saddam had been bluffing about WMD for years to project power in the region, even before Bush became President.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 08:56:46 PM »

No, but I'm still voting for her.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2016, 02:37:56 AM »

She's a politician, so of course she's not a paragon of virtue and truth. But I voted yes because I'm sick of the sexist double standards. Male politicians are never tarred as "dishonest liars" even when they're 100x worse than Hillary.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2016, 05:19:57 AM »

Look at who they have in the party and that's why he's seen as less divisive now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 05:22:00 AM »

Hillary's always been a rather diviside figure. And it's not as huge of factor in the election as some seem to believe.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 05:39:51 AM »

According to the factcheckers Hillary Clinton is going better than all the other candidates. Infact, when it comes to ACTUAL POLICY ISSUES that should be at the key of an election, she is better informed and more precise than all the other candidates.

As someone who thinks that Clinton would make a great president, it has really frustrated me that she refuses to run on her strengths which are being a strong, competent, intelligent and well informed leader. In short: someone you would trust leading the worlds only superpower. Someone you would trust effectively being the leader of the free world.

Clinton is way way way too concerned about her likability issues. She should completely ignore that and tear her opponents apart in debates, which she is more than capable of doing if she dared to.
chrisras
Rookie
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »

LOL!!!!  Jeez let me think...No!
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »

No, but no more dishonest then any politician.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »

Liar, liar, pants on fire!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies