Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:51:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 182018 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: April 23, 2016, 07:16:19 PM »

Another ban should be on any Senator in a state with a Republican Governor. Warren is the exception because the legislature is veto proof and could pass a law requiring a vacancy be filled same party.

^This. Sherrod Brown would be one of my top choices, but we can't give up a Senate seat when control will probably be on a knife's edge (even if it wasn't, I'd rather have a 52-48 majority than 51-49 majority). You're probably right about Massachusetts though. They really have no problem doing what needs to be done. They could easily pass a law like Hawaii or Wyoming (where the Governor gets a choice of three from those preselected by the party holding that seat). It really would just be finessing and optimizing the law to best represent the people, since they would almost assuredly leave the special election provision intact.

I know Elizabeth Warren is the most obvious pick if she decides to double-down, but what about Amy Klobuchar? I think one of the issues the Clinton campaign my have with Warren is that she may overshadow the top of the ticket. I'm not saying I agree with that, but they have to be thinking about that. As far as I know, she's somewhere in the middle among Senate Democrats, at least to the left of Tim Kaine and well to the left of Mark Warner. And of course, one of the most important things is that she's very likeable. If Clinton/Gore was a double-down on the Southern aspect, I think Clinton/Klobuchar is the closest analogy for doubling down on the woman aspect. And not that I buy into particular electoral advantages necessarily with a running mate, but she could conceivably have Midwestern appeal to help lock down the region.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 07:36:46 PM »

I mean, even if MA doesn't pass a law, Baker seems like the type to appoint a moderate who would be willing to vote with Democrats. Kasich is much more dangerous for the Democrats, in that he's a conservative masquerading as a moderate.

Baker isn't in the same universe as the most objectionable Republicans, but I still wouldn't trust him to appoint a proper replacement to a Warren vacancy on his own. I could see a compromise if the legislature threatened action where the Governor would appoint someone on his own to prevent a new law. (With their massive supermajority, the Democrats in the legislature would hold all the cards.) When President Obama nominated Judd Gregg for Commerce, the Democratic Governor promised to appoint a Republican (a liberal Republican, but one that was named ahead of time). If Warren was tapped to be Hillary's running mate, there would be plenty of time for those in Massachusetts state government to deal with it properly ahead of time (unless her campaign wanted explicit assurance that a mainstream Democrat would be nominated should the vacancy arise).
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:43:26 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2016, 04:03:59 AM by politicallefty »

I, personally, feel like Richard Tisei would be Baker's choice, and I feel like some Democrats would be fine with that, but the progressives would be against it. Then again, Baker might choose a Democrat.

There's no way that would be acceptable to Democrats. I'm not sure you understand the nature of this compromise: "Governor Baker will offer to nominate a centrist Democrat to place Elizabeth Warren. Provided the nominee is acceptable, the Massachusetts General Court will agree and not pass any new legislation regarding US Senate vacancies." Baker would have to agree to appoint someone acceptable to the Democratic supermajority in the legislature. If the nominee wasn't acceptable, there'd be no reason or hesitation not to change the law in a manner similar to Hawaii or Wyoming.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:47:52 AM »

I almost can't believe Jeff Sessions is seriously being considered. As a Hillary supporter, there aren't too many others I would rather run against than him.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:21:19 AM »

I almost can't believe Jeff Sessions is seriously being considered. As a Hillary supporter, there aren't too many others I would rather run against than him.

Pence and Gingrich are pretty horrible too.

I know, but Sessions is someone who is staunchly anti-immigrant (and in that vein, Sessions would work extraordinarily well on a ticket with Trump) and rejected for a federal judgeship in 1986 for various racial statements. If Trump is intent on giving Hillary upwards of 95% of the black vote and at least 80% of the Hispanic vote, then that should be his choice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies