Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:20:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 182004 times)
Bull Moose Base

« on: April 23, 2016, 08:18:55 PM »

Massachusetts Democrats already passed the law when John Kerry was the presidential nominee and Romney the governor. And it came back to bite them in the ass when Deval Patrick's appointee to fill Ted Kennedy's seat could only serve for a couple months and then Scott Brown won. Although, that led to Liz Warren eventually winning the seat. Anyway, there would be a special election by Spring 2017.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 06:54:30 AM »

To clarify a misconception here:

Despite Massachusetts having a GOP governor and Virginia having a Democratic one, Kaine as VP is more problematic for the Democrats than Warren as far as control of the senate goes. I think there's some dispute but it seems likely a McAuliffe appointment would be for one year before a 2017 special election Democrats would have a fairly hard time winning, and then the regular 2018 one. Warren could announce her intention to resign in July, forcing a special election before the end of 2016, that Democrats would be favored to win (2010 and 2014 notwithstanding). Also, if Trump won, pretty sure Warren could withdraw her resignation.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »

That being said, a Zombie Ayn Rand/Rand Paul ticket would also hit the spot.

rick scott/scott baio.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 02:47:06 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 02:55:20 PM by Bull Moose Base »

Guys, can you please take this dumb debate somewhere else?  Trying to keep up with the VP news here.  Tongue

Booker, Brown, Kaine, and Perez not responding to questions about whether they’re being vetted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/clinton-is-vetting-three-for-vice-president--and-is-still-studying-a-longer-list/2016/06/21/548fedc0-37cb-11e6-9ccd-d6005beac8b3_story.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That story also mentions something which hadn’t really occurred to me before, and I now feel like an idiot for not thinking of it earlier: It’s not just Massachusetts that provides for a special election within a few months if there’s a Senate vacancy.  New Jersey does too.  Booker himself was elected in a special election after Lautenberg’s death.  So if Warren being picked is on the table because her seat could be filled by special election within a few months, I guess the same applies to Booker.

You're no idiot!

When Lautenberg died, Christie called a special election for October 2013 to keep Booker's senate turnout away from his own gubernatorial re-election the following month. Democrats criticized Christie for wasting money, while Republicans criticized him for wasting a chance to appoint a replacement for the remainder of Lautenberg's term i.e. with a 2014 election.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It sounds like 2 laws conflict but Christie could this time try to appoint a replacement for the rest of the term i.e. until the 2020 election.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/06/christie_outlines_special_elec.html

Meanwhile in Mass, Harry Reid and Democratic lawyers found a Massachusetts loophole that they believe allows the clock to start ticking on 150 days after Warren merely announces her intention to resign. So if she did that next month, the special would have to happen before the end of 2016.

In short, Booker isn't all that safe a pick as far as senate control is concerned.

EDIT: I will be shocked if it's not Kaine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies