Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:57:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 15083 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: May 05, 2019, 11:25:27 PM »

Having read the leaks before the episode I was absolutely dreading it and found - to my surprise - it was better than expected and for the most part I did like it and found it a decent setup to what should be some entertaining final 2-3 hours. The actions of some characters remain very frustrating, but I think they're making a more decent job of conveying their reasoning or motivations than during the utter mess of Season 7, and that does count for something even if the military logic of the show is really painful to think about.

In my personal case I think the long period between Season 7 and Season 8 (and how disappointing Season 7 itself was) did help at lowering expectations, accepting how different the Show and Books are to each other and how difficult it would be for anyone to come up with three-four seasons of material based on an outline by Martin instead of actual books (which does not excuse abominations like Show Dorne, but has to be taken into account).

Episodes 1 and 2 actually significantly raised the low expectations I had as I found them very good, and since Episode 3 left me disappointed on its execution and ending (tense and engaging as it was to watch it) I appreciated this one perhaps because the manner in which the leaks were presented suggested something really horrible. What next episode does in particular with Tyrion, Jon and Daenerys (both in terms of the paths they take and what their motivations/reasons end up being) may well come to define whether I end up hating the way Season 8 executes its finale or whether I find it at least acceptable, if promising to be very inferior to what Martin's ending may actually be if ever written (and I'm doubting it will ever be).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 12:55:56 PM »

People really need to relax a bit. Even if Season 8 is an increasingly worse trainwreck terms of writing - which is a shame, because the acting has been excellent - no series is worth getting excessively vitriolic.

For all the problems I have with this season, it's worth pointing out Emilia Clarke has been absolutely phenomenal.

Indeed! I've never really liked her acting as Daenerys besides Season 1 and some of the few epic moments in Essos, and yet her performance this season has been excellent. If anything that makes the writing problem even more frustrating, that performance combined with good writing for the season could have been epic.

- I really liked that ShowArya ended up letting go of her desire for revenge and living for the future instead of letting her anger about the past destroy her (even if GRRM probably deserves credit for this rather than D&D) and her calling the Hound "Sandor" was a nice touch

Given how much I've criticized Arya in past years for being a psychopath I admit this was a very nice moment, and a welcome turn for the character.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »

Gods I hope the finale isn't a disaster.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »

Well... that was awful. And unbelievably stupid.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 10:20:37 PM »

How kind of the Targaryen loyalists to suddenly accept a Stark-Tully as their King despite their outrage, and to also accept Tyrion being the hand. And of the Iron Islands, Dorne and other regions not to demand independence like the North. And of the lords not mentioning a certain legitimized Baratheon with a claim to the throne when debating candidates for King. And of the Reach to accept a random sellsword as Lord of Highgarden. And of people being surprisingly okay with an emotionless, omnisicent King without a proper line of succession. And of the North to still press for independence despite a Stark being made king.

And one could go on...

(I'll calm down soon, it's just that I really find the politics of it really difficult to justify)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies