Eric Holder is Obama's attorney general (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:25:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Eric Holder is Obama's attorney general (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eric Holder is Obama's attorney general  (Read 4274 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: November 19, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »

They were already energized after the Palin pick. In case you forgot, they lost.

If they're going to get all excited talking about Clinton smuggling drugs through Arkansas or having an illegitimate love child or Hillary's ankles etc. instead of planning a platform that appeals to a majority of Americans, my friends, that's re-energizing I can believe in.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2008, 04:47:39 PM by brittain33 »

I was just looking for some more outside the beltway types instead we see President-Elect Obama bringing back the Clinton era gang along with his own from Chicago, does this sound familiar anyone? 

Perhaps I dare say like the appointments the exiting President made?     

No, really, I don't see it. In Bush's first term, he brought in people from his father's administration and earlier, like Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Powell. Tommy Thompson came in with an independent reputation, and so did John Ashcroft, who had the trust of the socons. He also brought in some relatively obscure people from around the country like Gale Norton and Spencer Abraham, not leading lights, but not exactly cronies either. It wasn't a bad cabinet and it represented Bush's campaign well.

Over time, it got worse. Paul O'Neill couldn't play nice and left, to be replaced with a non-entity whose main job was selling the President's tax policies. Christie Whitman saw the writing on the wall and left. Bush promoted people who weren't just his own gang, but mediocrities who had been raised from obscurity to big power in Texas based only on their loyalty to him, and who then jumped another level past their competence. Miers, Gonzales. Is Karen Hughes still traveling the world as the face of America, telling Arabs that they're just like Americans because "we both love children"?

Obama is bringing in people who are competent and tested in their field. That, IMO, is wonderful. We need basic competence. After Clinton and Carter, I'm a big skeptic of the "I'm a total outsider and I'm going to bring in clueless people from random states to sweep the place clean." It doesn't work. We need people who will be good at their jobs and take direction from someone who has clear ideas of what he wants done, minus the drama.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:43:40 PM »

The change is in the fact that the government will be in the hands of tough, intelligent, competent operators, rather than the gang that can't shoot straight.  Replacing Rice with Clinton, Ashcroft/Gonzales/Mukasey (has he done anything of note in the last two years) with Holder, replacing Dick Cheney with Joe Biden...how is this not change?

Gonzales makes Ashcroft look very good by comparison. Much as Bush has done much to burnish his father's legacy by distracting attention with his own incompetence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies