Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:52:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kanye is out (UPDATE: Kanye is in again)  (Read 18743 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« on: July 04, 2020, 07:54:32 PM »

No one man should have all that power.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »

Elon Musk just endorsed. Will this hurt Biden or Trump more? Remember not even six months ago Ye was pretending to be a Trump sycophant in order to help Kim get people out of prison.

In b4 the Harris-Warren Biden VP discourse is displaced by the Musk-Orb Mother West VP discourse.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 08:45:34 PM »

That was exactly what I thought the day Trump announced his campaign.

For me, this is most of 2020.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »

Campaign slogan suggestions time!

Some starters:

"Put West in the West Wing"
"YE we can"
"Not Ye, us"
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 02:09:48 PM »

There’s ALOT of enthusiasm on Twitter about his supposed candidacy from young people who say they hate both candidates and think they’re both equally bad (which I disagree with). I know twitter doesn’t matter and it didn’t help Bernie or Cenk, but still, it’s really scary the level of apathy I’ve seen. The level of disillusionment.

Lol.  The youth are apathetic and disillusioned?  When have the youth not been apathetic and disillusioned?

When they turned out in droves for the optimistic 2008 candidacy of Barack Obama (their turnout has been differential in other elections to significant extents, such as the 2018 midterms, but that's probably the best example of an unambiguously positive vote). Their disillusionment has grown in line with an increasingly common sentiment within other sections of society.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »

There’s ALOT of enthusiasm on Twitter about his supposed candidacy from young people who say they hate both candidates and think they’re both equally bad (which I disagree with). I know twitter doesn’t matter and it didn’t help Bernie or Cenk, but still, it’s really scary the level of apathy I’ve seen. The level of disillusionment.

Lol.  The youth are apathetic and disillusioned?  When have the youth not been apathetic and disillusioned?

When they turned out in droves for the optimistic 2008 candidacy of Barack Obama (their turnout has been differential in other elections to significant extents, such as the 2018 midterms, but that's probably the best example of an unambiguously positive vote). Their disillusionment has grown in line with an increasingly common sentiment within other sections of society.

Literally no one who voted for Barack Obama in 2008 is in the "youth" age demographic now.

Depends on how you define it, but I took "When have the youth not been apathetic and disillusioned?" as a statement about youth as opposed to the general pessimism of the current generation.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »

Kanye?

I guess he couldn't this time.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 09:16:08 PM »

I should think so. The deadline may have passed in Florida but there's still plenty of time for him to get on the ballot in Arizona and Wisconsin, in which case it's game over for Uncle Joe.

Why would an additional candidate who was openly a Trump supporter and whose platform is based upon being anti-abortion and anti-gay draw hurt Biden?

Because people here have a racist view of things and assume Kanye will get a large enough section of the black vote that it will hurt Biden.

Or because a lot of Biden's supporters aren't too keen on the guy, just want to beat Trump and might be willing to vote for Kanye West if he could convince enough people his candidacy was viable.

More importantly, because Trump is closer to his absolute floor right now than Biden is. That means it's easier (in theory) for a semi-credible third party to poach Democratic votes than Republican ones.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 09:28:39 PM »

I should think so. The deadline may have passed in Florida but there's still plenty of time for him to get on the ballot in Arizona and Wisconsin, in which case it's game over for Uncle Joe.

Why would an additional candidate who was openly a Trump supporter and whose platform is based upon being anti-abortion and anti-gay draw hurt Biden?

Because people here have a racist view of things and assume Kanye will get a large enough section of the black vote that it will hurt Biden.

Or because a lot of Biden's supporters aren't too keen on the guy, just want to beat Trump and might be willing to vote for Kanye West if he could convince enough people his candidacy was viable.

More importantly, because Trump is closer to his absolute floor right now than Biden is. That means it's easier (in theory) for a semi-credible third party to poach Democratic votes than Republican ones.

On the flip side of this, this is why the fact that a lot of people voting Against Trump rather than For Biden is important--it means they're less likely to flip if they find somebody else to vote for, as defeating Trump is a priority rather than having a like-minded candidate.

Agreed. If (and it's a big if) West can get more than 1% in polls or a few friendly/feverish media cycles (I wouldn't be surprised if the latter happened), the Biden campaign may have to devote a lot of energy to reminding everyone that his candidacy isn't a viable path to Beating TrumpTM.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 05:39:18 AM »

There aren't enough facepalm emojis in cyberspace for this sentence.

It would not necessarily have to be especially close to the truth to be convincing for a lot of people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies