Interesting facts about Presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:08:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Interesting facts about Presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting facts about Presidents  (Read 4319 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: February 17, 2021, 08:17:53 PM »

Nixon is the only President to have been both the only living President, from Jan. 1973-Aug. 1974, & then 1 of 6 living former & sitting Presidents - which is still tied for the most there've been at any one time - from Jan. 1993-Apr. 1994.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 11:20:16 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2021, 11:36:00 PM by brucejoel99 »

Of the 6 elected VPs-turned-Presidents, Biden is the only one who didn't immediately run following his term as VP.

That is, of the 15 VPs who went on to become President, 9 of them did so by directly succeeding to the job as a result of their predecessor's death or resignation, & the remaining 6 having came to the presidency via election itself. Of those 6, Biden is the only one who didn't run immediately following his term as VP. Yes, he's the 2nd President - after Nixon - ever to be elected not immediately following his term as VP, but Nixon at least ran at the end of his vice presidency, in 1960. Biden didn't even run for President when his vice presidency was ending in 2016, which makes him the 1st (&, thus far, the only) elected VP-turned-President who didn't even run for the presidency immediately following the end of his term as VP.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 07:45:18 PM »

When Joe Biden played in the Congressional Baseball Game in the '70s, he wore the number 46.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 10:58:18 PM »

In the alternate timeline in which Obama's coin-toss of a VP selection landed on him picking Evan Bayh, Joe Biden was recently re-elected to his 9th term in the Senate, is President pro-tempore thereof, & will surpass Robert Byrd's record as the longest-serving Senator in American history on Jun. 29th, 2024.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 07:21:15 PM »

Joe Biden is the only president born during the FDR administration.

On the ironic flip side of that coin, 3 of the last 4 presidents - with there having been 1 obvious exception from 2009-2017 - were all born during a presidential term to which FDR was elected to serve out, & in reverse chronological order over a single span of 3 months no less: that is, Trump was born a month before W., who was born a month before Bill Clinton.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 07:48:58 PM »

On the ironic flip side of that coin, 3 of the last 4 presidents - with there having been 1 obvious exception from 2009-2017 - were all born during a presidential term to which FDR was elected to serve out, & in reverse chronological order over a single span of 3 months no less: that is, Trump was born a month before W., who was born a month before Bill Clinton.

1946, I believe, has the distinction of being the year in which the most Presidents were born. I can only think of two others in the 20th century where at least two were born in the same year-1913 (Nixon and Ford) and 1924 (H.W. Bush and Carter).

Grant & Hayes were both born in 1822, & ditto Jackson & JQA in 1767, but those admittedly weren't in the 20th century.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 08:10:24 PM »

1946, I believe, has the distinction of being the year in which the most Presidents were born. I can only think of two others in the 20th century where at least two were born in the same year-1913 (Nixon and Ford) and 1924 (H.W. Bush and Carter).

Grant & Hayes were both born in 1822, & ditto Jackson & JQA in 1767, but those admittedly weren't in the 20th century.

I was thinking of 1822 when I wrote my post, but I didn't include it. And I forgot about Jackson and the younger Adams. I can't think of any other years where two Presidents were born the same year.

There are none apart from the 5 hitherto aforementioned instances.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 06:24:27 PM »

An interesting fact is that Ronald Reagan was older than four of his predecessors (Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, and Carter), and was only two and a half years younger than Lyndon B. Johnson. Kennedy, of course, was the first President to be born in the 20th century, and his immediate predecessor, Eisenhower, was the last President to be born in the 19th century. Another interesting fact is that Obama is thus far the only President to have been born after Elizabeth II came to the throne in Great Britain, although that will obviously change once Biden leaves office. Mike Pence was the first Vice-President to be born after her accession.

*Bernie's 2028 run intensifies* Tongue
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 05:00:57 PM »

An interesting fact is that Ronald Reagan was older than four of his predecessors (Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, and Carter), and was only two and a half years younger than Lyndon B. Johnson. Kennedy, of course, was the first President to be born in the 20th century, and his immediate predecessor, Eisenhower, was the last President to be born in the 19th century. Another interesting fact is that Obama is thus far the only President to have been born after Elizabeth II came to the throne in Great Britain, although that will obviously change once Biden leaves office. Mike Pence was the first Vice-President to be born after her accession.

*Bernie's 2028 run intensifies* Tongue

I don't think Sanders is going to run again, although I wouldn't be surprised if Ocasio-Cortez or someone like her is the next Democratic presidential candidate after Biden (if he runs for reelection in 2024) or Harris (if she runs in 2024, wins, and runs for reelection in 2028).

Same, as it's pretty obvious. 'Twas just a joke about the next President still having been born before Elizabeth's accession.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 10:14:56 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2021, 01:13:28 AM by brucejoel99 »

There were Chester Alan Arthur birthers because his Vermont birthplace was so close to the Canadian border.

And those birthers were just as stupid as Obama's because, even if Arthur had been born in Canada, he would've still been able to claim natural-born citizenship since his mom was born in & had recently resided in the U.S., just as Obama would've claimed it even if he'd been born in Kenya since his mom was born in & had recently lived in the U.S. too.

Joe Biden became the oldest person ever to be President immediately on the day of his inauguration, beating the record previously held by Reagan on his last day in office by a few months.

Indeed, & Biden sets the new record in this category every day as well. Ironically enough, Reagan's exact age of 77 years & 349 days when he left office on Jan. 20th, 1989, would later be Biden's exact age on his Election Day, Nov. 3rd, 2020.

Kamala Harris is the first member of a Democratic ticket from a Western state. All Western Presidents have been California Republicans, the only Western Vice Presidents before Harris were Nixon and Cheney, and all unsuccessful previous Western nominees were Republicans as well.

[...]

Extremely weird, though, that the only examples are Joseph Lane from 1860, when Oregon was just freshly admitted, and Kamala Harris in 2020 after the whole West had been part of the Union for over a century.

For all the sh*t that's talked about the Democrats just being nothing more than the party of California's coastal elites, it's ironic as all hell that we didn't actually get around to putting an actual Californian on the ticket 'til literally just now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies