Russia officially bans same-sex marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:58:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia officially bans same-sex marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Russia officially bans same-sex marriage  (Read 1783 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« on: April 10, 2021, 03:49:50 PM »

Well, societies in which religion plays more dominant role are usually more opposed to SSM. That applies to basically all of Eastern Europe and parts of Southern Europe as well. The United States is a different story here, since SSM is above water in approvals in almost all states.
I still find it a little weird that former communist countries in eastern Europe where religion was banned/shunned have rebounded so hard to being the most religious countries in Europe now. On the one hand I can kind of see it as a backlash to communism, but on the other hand you’d think after a few generations grew up without religion, its influence would fade and not resurge so much even post-communism.

I wouldn't say that Russia (except "Caucasus")/Belarus/Ukraina are religious at all. Definitely not urban, and I'd say not even rural are specially religious. The Baltic countries are not religious at all, either. Don't now much about the rest of Eastern Europe, but the rural parts Poland seem to be religious?

I'd say that Spain/Italy are more religious then us. Definitely US is. Probably, even Germany is.

I'd say that Russia/Belarus/Ukraine are becoming gradually less homophobic then they were 10/20/30 years. It is definitely easier to be one now.

But as Russia/Belarus started to encounter economical/political problems and confrontation with "gay-friendly" West, politicians become more willing to antagonize sexual minorities and use other cultural wars tricks as well. I don't quite remember when they seriously started it. May be like 5-10 years ago? Probably, after sanctions that followed wars/annexation? IDK, but it is definitely wasn't a thing until Financial Crisis 2008, when basically all groups had it much better then 5/10/15 etc years ago. The real incomes have been stagnating since then.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies