Why is the GOP establishment so anti-libertarian in their policy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:54:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why is the GOP establishment so anti-libertarian in their policy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is the GOP establishment so anti-libertarian in their policy?  (Read 3004 times)
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« on: June 03, 2015, 11:47:34 AM »

I'm a non-libertarian Republican, and I think that the two ideologies have a lot in common, but that does not mean that a Conservative might as well be a Libertarian and vice versa.  I support an interventionalist foreign policy when necessary, believe that certain programs are necessary for national security, and think that the government does have a role in enforcing a certain moral code (i.e. not being able to kill unborn children), which puts me at odds with the Libertarian wing of our party.

Republicans who are on the wrong side of things never fail to amuse me with such gems as trying to make abortion out to be murder.

Anyway, it's because Libertarianism is something you grow out of once you're older than 18.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »

I'm a non-libertarian Republican, and I think that the two ideologies have a lot in common, but that does not mean that a Conservative might as well be a Libertarian and vice versa.  I support an interventionalist foreign policy when necessary, believe that certain programs are necessary for national security, and think that the government does have a role in enforcing a certain moral code (i.e. not being able to kill unborn children), which puts me at odds with the Libertarian wing of our party.

Republicans who are on the wrong side of things never fail to amuse me with such gems as trying to make abortion out to be murder.

Anyway, it's because Libertarianism is something you grow out of once you're older than 18.

What else is killing a fully developed fetus?

A fetus isn't sapient until it's born.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »

How come libertarianism is considered a childish philosophy?

Typical Team Blue vs. Team Red monopoly tactic.

It's harder for the left to demonize libertarians as evil thugs (since they don't fit within the "blood for oil" or "iz muh body you old white man" talking points), so the only way to prevent possible Democrats or liberals from defecting is to just dismiss the ideology off-hand. Like how whenever someone says "hey, maybe we should ask ourselves if this particular law is necessary" the typical bs lefty response is to start shouting "SOMALIA" because apparently you can either want all government (minus abortion regulations) or no government whatsoever. When a libertarian points out how stupid and hackish that logic is, its much easier to just double down on "you don't know anything. You're so immature. Your beliefs are extreme because they aren't our beliefs you child. Libertarianism only works in regards to issues WE care about."

Yes. As we all know, defections to the Libertarians are a very real and present threat for Liberals and Democrats. This is evidenced by the fact that Libertarianism is a huge ideology with a huge following and a huge, credible threat to the Democratic and Republican parties.

Also, that quote is a bit odd. Democrats and liberals don't apply Libertarian principles. Rather, Libertarians apply liberal principles. Remember who came first.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 03:44:57 AM »

Interesting. I realized liberalism was something to grow out of once you're older than 13, when i was 13

What a clever comeback.

Of course, I shouldn't expect some sort of witty retort requiring more than five seconds of thought from a Libertarian.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies