TR runs in 1920
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:41:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TR runs in 1920
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TR runs in 1920  (Read 2212 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:09:54 AM »

I am going to try to write an actual Time Line this time, but it will be hard to do. I look forwrad to the challenge
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »

How does he survive? Does Quinton survive WWI?
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »

Nice. It will be difficult, seeing as how TR really died in 1919 of coranary thrombosis or something like that. I look forward to it anyway.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »

Nice. It will be difficult, seeing as how TR really died in 1919 of coranary thrombosis or something like that. I look forward to it anyway.

I'll explain it in the prologue and part 1
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:43:11 AM »

Awesome! Cant wait. 
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »

Prologue

Former President Theodore Roosevelt is quite upset and disappointed over loosing the election that "Idiot" President William H. Taft and the "Kook" Woodrow Wilson. Now with free time on his hands, the Bull moose must find something new to do. He has lowered his choices to either going on a trip to the amazon or spending time with his family. He decided on something that was unlike TR to do, spending some time at home. He sent another explorer in his place, and it turned out to be a good decision as the explorer died of Malaria. Roosevelt made use of his time at home by writing a novel "My Big Family". It turned to be a hit.

President Wilson, despite calls for help from Europe refuses to joining the Great War. This infuriates TR, who makes sure he is not happy by commenting in the press. But, Roosevelt declines the nomination, "I do not want to go through another loosing battle. I will not run in 1916."

The Democrats easily nominated President Wilson despite not wanting to re-nominate VP Marshall. The Republicans choose former NY Governor Charles Evans Hughes to be the nominee, with former Secretary of State Elihu Root to be the VP.

The race was close the whole season, with Wilson campaigning on a anti-war platform and TR campaigning for the Republicans, urging the voters who went with the Progressives to go with Hughes.

Wilson/Marshall-275
Hughes/Root-256

On Election Day, Wilson barley won, with Wilson actually thinking he lost and went to sleep after 10:30.

President Wilson survived on the anti war platform, but he also died by it. Not soon after his inauguration the US was forced into the war by attacks on US citizens who were  traveling by boat. "We must make the world safe for Democracy" urged President Wilson. "The fool just got me re-elected" said Roosevelt who even though wants war, is angered because of the country's late entry.

The Great War lasted for two more years, until an armistice was signed in November 1918. The Allies won, but at a great cost. 10,000,000 combined solders were killed, and 27,000,000 were either injured or missing. Quintin Roosevelt was injured by being shot in his shoulder, but he survived. President Roosevelt tried to join the war with help of an Ohio senator named Warren Harding, but the bill was shot down. Roosevelt was grateful however, and promised to help Harding in some way in the future.

The year ended great for the family, but trouble is on the horizon.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »

Awesome! Glad to see a historical timeline!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »

Awesome! Glad to see a historical timeline!

Thanks, I have been wanting to try one for a while
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »

Prologue

The Democrats easily nominated President Wilson despite not wanting to re-nominate VP Marshall. The Republicans choose former NY Governor Charles Evans Hughes to be the nominee, with former Secretary of State Elihu Root to be the VP.

Hughes and Root?

Beg pardon, but they can't run together. They are both from New York.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »

Prologue

Hughes and Root?

Beg pardon, but they can't run together. They are both from New York.

I messed up but I'm to lazy to change it, sorry kid
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 02:09:09 PM »

The last year of the decade started out with a tragedy. Former President William H. Taft died in his sleep on January 6th from a heart attack. He was 62 years old. A state funeral was held with President Wilson, VP Marshall, and Former President Roosevelt attending.  Taft is burried at the Arlington National Cemintary.

1957-1919

After the funeral, President Wilson got to work with the peace talks after the war.  At the peace conference in Paris, President Wilson tried to describe his "Fourteen Points" plan and the proposed League of Nations, but was laughed at and told to think realistic. The Allies decided to punish Germany, but not leave any foreign solders or influences in the country.

"If the situation arises again, the allies will be ready. But for right now, we must let Germany rebuild and try to make aminds." Said President Wilson.

This move made the President unpopular, due to many of the public wanting more punishment for the Germans. Also not helping matters was the failing post war economy, due to the bubble in farming. As a result of all the failures and stress, President Wilson suffered a heart attack, but survives. the President now gives important decisions to the cabinet, but not the Vice President, further angering VP Marshall.

With the Election close at hand, Former President Roosevelt decided to make his intentions clear: "The time is right for myself to announce that I will be running again for the Republican nomination in 1920." No other major Republican besides Nicholas Butler announced their intentions to run. To many people TR is the favorite in 1920.

On the Democratic side the race is wide open, with no clear favorite. President Wilson announces he is planning to run again, but little support falls behind him. It looks like the Democrats will have another convention battle.

Up Next: 1920
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »

Oh, so you basically switch the death dates of Taft and TR, so that TR dies in 1930?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:34:48 PM »

Oh, so you basically switch the death dates of Taft and TR, so that TR dies in 1930?

Wait and see Smiley
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:15:06 PM »

I am going to do an update today. I just need some time to enjoy what spring break I have left. It ends tomorrow
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 03:24:20 PM »

I am going to do an update today. I just need some time to enjoy what spring break I have left. It ends tomorrow

Today was my first day back.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »

I'm dreading it but Seniors are allowed to skip on Friday at my school, and the senior prom is Saturday. It should be fine
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »

The 1920 Republican Convention

With the anger against the Wilson Administration growing, The Republican gathered in Chicago, Illinois on June 8th to choose a nominee. That is not suspenseful, almost everyone believes President Roosevelt win the nomination, the real suspense is who will be the VP nominee.

Roosevelt did not let anyone know who he wanted the Convention to choose until the day before the convention. The choice was the man Roosevelt promised to help out, Senator Warren Harding. This move did not make the Conservative branch happy, the branch wanted a Conservative to balance the ticket, Governor Calvin Coolidge was chosen by the conservatives to be their stander bearer, despite being lukewarm about it at best.

The VP tally took 4 ballots to decide with Harding finally winning the nomination.

The Republican Ticket

Coolidge held a private meeting with the ticket, apologizing for the Conservatives actions, and pledging his support. As a result of his honesty, Roosevelt promised him a cabinet position if he is interested. He said he was, and a deal was made.

Both of the two made speeches, pledging an end to the lack of leadership and respect from the Wilson Administration. Roosevelt made the biggest splash, pleading a "Return to Normalcy". As a result the ticket grew more popular than before, and the Democrats hopes rely on a great convention

Up Next: The Democratic Convention
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 06:03:50 PM »

Sorry for teh small update, I have had a hard day today.

If anyone is wondering, 1920 is the same as in rl, if not worse
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »

I'm dreading it but Seniors are allowed to skip on Friday at my school, and the senior prom is Saturday. It should be fine

I'm lucky on Friday because I have a track meet, and get out of school at 9:30 AM (school for me starts at 7:30).

Anywa, I think Cal would be good as Secretary of labor due to his handling of the Boston police strike. I don't think Teddy would make him Treasury Secretary, so I figure Labor'd be good.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »

I'm working on the Democratic Convention, but here is a list of people who war running:

President Woodrow Wilson
Vice President Thomas Marshall
Treasury Secretary William Macadoo
Former Nominee William J. Bryan
Ambassador John W. Davis
NY Governor Al Smith
OH Governor James Cox

Plus others
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length