What nationwide redistricting rules would benefit Republicans the most? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:33:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What nationwide redistricting rules would benefit Republicans the most? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What nationwide redistricting rules would benefit Republicans the most?  (Read 862 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: January 18, 2022, 01:37:15 PM »

Compactness is prioritized over proportionality with rules requiring adherence to county/municipal/town lines.

The thing is is that in practice that still ends up benefiting Democrats relative to the status quo--Texas alone would probably net a few seats.

Proportionality would help Democrats initially but would probably create instability in the long term which could cut harshly against either party as coalitions shift.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 11:51:54 AM »

Surprised no one's mentioned the shortest splitline aglorithm or maximizing minority influence.  The first naturally cracks populated, D-leaning areas while the second would serve to maximally pack D-leaning non-White voters. 

In both cases though those redistricting procedures can benefit Democrats depending on the situation--they are very high-variance.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 12:22:26 PM »

Compactness and prohibition of county splits would help R's more in the North than it would help D's in the South, particularly with the existing VRA rules.

R's drew very favorable maps of Michigan for decades with rules like these in place.

Yeah I think you need additional checks on redistricting commissions in addition to just compactness and prohibitions on county splits, but by the same token I think those rules are needed, and should probably be weighted pretty highly. Otherwise you get higgledy-piggledy messes like Colorado where this stuff was deprioritized over very nebulous definitions of CoI.

Putting cards on the table myself, I think redistricting commissions should weigh these factors, in roughly this order:

1. Compliance with the VRA
2. Keeping metro areas whole
3. Compactness
4. Whole Counties, cities, etc.
5. Robustly defined communities of Interest--i.e. no spurious "South Colorado," type stuff. Ideally the CoIs would notable enough to have a Wikipedia page or be recognized in councils of government.
6. Minority Influence districts above and beyond the VRA.
7. Public Input--ideally this would be higher, but the incentives are too high for partisans on either side to try and game the process.

Ideally these would be sort of nested. For example, a commission which worked like this in Colorado would likely put Pueblo in the 4th district, regardless of public input, due to its obvious regional location in the High Plains, but then at the margins where things are less obvious, like where in the Front Range to get excess population from, public input could play a role.

Of course a lot of these should be tinkered with to some extent depending on the states--counties shouldn't matter in New England and only a little in Arizona, but a map which splits counties in Arkansas should probably be disfavored.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies