CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:25:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 126290 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: August 05, 2021, 09:25:53 AM »

Thankfully everyone will be mailed a ballot plus organized ballot collection is legal in California, but Newsome is going to need to get Biden/Obama involved in a massive awareness campaign to raise the interest for Democrats. That SUSA poll has the Democratic partisan advantage drop from D+17 in the RV screen to D+5 in the LV screen.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #801 on: August 05, 2021, 09:27:55 AM »

Yeah, I feel like once Democratic voters start getting them in the mail they'll realize this is for real.

But I hope Newsom has TV ads ready to go, and surrogates ready to go. I feel like we heard Warren and Harris are both participating?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #802 on: August 05, 2021, 09:30:30 AM »

Also, the California system for recalling officials is stupid. Wisconsin's is much better, even if it didn't work against Scott Walker.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #803 on: August 05, 2021, 09:33:46 AM »

Also, the California system for recalling officials is stupid. Wisconsin's is much better, even if it didn't work against Scott Walker.

Recalls in general are questionable. At least with such a low quorum for ballot qualification.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #804 on: August 05, 2021, 10:22:40 AM »

If I were Newsom, I would make DeSantis my foil and beat the drum constantly on how much better California is doing than Florida.

If Newsom makes his recall campaign about Desantis, he deserves to lose.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #805 on: August 05, 2021, 02:35:49 PM »

If I were Newsom, I would make DeSantis my foil and beat the drum constantly on how much better California is doing than Florida.

If Newsom makes his recall campaign about Desantis, he deserves to lose.

Why is that?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #806 on: August 05, 2021, 03:19:34 PM »

Recalls in general are questionable. At least with such a low quorum for ballot qualification.

There shouldn't be recalls at all. Elected officials should serve their term without the permanent treat of a recall. For serious wrongdoings, there's always the possibility of impeachment. Newsom has done nothing that comes close to an impeachable offense.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #807 on: August 05, 2021, 03:20:48 PM »

D's have a Supermajority in the State Legislature what can an R Gov do
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #808 on: August 07, 2021, 06:06:11 PM »

Nothing, which would be a big improvement.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #809 on: August 07, 2021, 06:11:26 PM »

No GOP endorsement.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #810 on: August 07, 2021, 06:54:59 PM »

Governor YouTube Landlord Guy incoming...
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #811 on: August 08, 2021, 05:16:02 PM »

I think the Democrats controlled the California state legislature since the late 1950s, so Governor Larry Elder probably won’t get much done legislative wise, though he will definitely invoke the Dual Elector scenario in 2024, as I have him getting narrowly re-elected in 2022 due to the Republican wave in that years midterm election.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #812 on: August 08, 2021, 09:34:39 PM »

I think the Democrats controlled the California state legislature since the late 1950s, so Governor Larry Elder probably won’t get much done legislative wise, though he will definitely invoke the Dual Elector scenario in 2024, as I have him getting narrowly re-elected in 2022 due to the Republican wave in that years midterm election.

Oh I can dream.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #813 on: August 09, 2021, 12:18:39 AM »

Let me remind everyone that in last year's Senate election in South Carolina, polls during the final month or two indicated that the two major candidates were headed to a photo finish. I was skeptical of those polls because they greatly contradicted the fundamentals of that state. It turns out my skepticism was well founded, as the final margin was in the double digits. Here, I suspect a similar dynamic may end up playing out - where the incumbent ends up surviving by a larger-than-expected margin due to the fundamentals of the state winning out.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #814 on: August 09, 2021, 12:34:03 AM »

Let me remind everyone that in last year's Senate election in South Carolina, polls during the final month or two indicated that the two major candidates were headed to a photo finish. I was skeptical of those polls because they greatly contradicted the fundamentals of that state. It turns out my skepticism was well founded, as the final margin was in the double digits. Here, I suspect a similar dynamic may end up playing out - where the incumbent ends up surviving by a larger-than-expected margin due to the fundamentals of the state winning out.
the main difference here is that it's an off-year. I actually think things would have been close (though a narrow Graham win) if that election happened in 2019.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #815 on: August 09, 2021, 08:47:13 AM »

This is my thought as well. I feel like once ballots start getting mailed out (as they were this weekend in some counties), things will start to consolidate.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #816 on: August 09, 2021, 01:00:45 PM »

the main difference here is that it's an off-year. I actually think things would have been close (though a narrow Graham win) if that election happened in 2019.

In the few local election we have seen since Biden took office, like New Mexico's special election, turnout wasn't that bad. Democratic turnout may be relatively low, but I just fail to see how Newsom is actually ousted. And California is bluer than South Carolina is red.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #817 on: August 09, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »

It’s kind of a bad look to admit the mail in ballots will “save” newsome

Openly confessing what the gop has been saying: mail in ballots are a ploy to help democrats

It’s an abuse. In my view.

Elected officials using taxpayer money to personally solve their turnout problems is an appalling betrayal of public trust.

Governments shouldn’t make it hard to vote, but they also shouldn’t be in the business of maximizing turnout either.

If a Mexican in imperial county doesn’t care about the recall, who cares? If a 21 year old college student doesn’t care, why should the govt try to get them to vote?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #818 on: August 09, 2021, 05:06:16 PM »

Openly confessing what the gop has been saying: mail in ballots are a ploy to help democrats

Elected officials using taxpayer money to personally solve their turnout problems is an appalling betrayal of public trust.

Governments shouldn’t make it hard to vote, but they also shouldn’t be in the business of maximizing turnout either.

If a Mexican in imperial county doesn’t care about the recall, who cares? If a 21 year old college student doesn’t care, why should the govt try to get them to vote?

Mail in ballots are a ploy to make things easier for the voter. Doesn't make a difference if that voter is GOP or Dem.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #819 on: August 09, 2021, 06:19:33 PM »

So, more people having access to vote is bad? Ok then.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #820 on: August 09, 2021, 06:38:21 PM »

I said this exact same thing in another thread. I'm only pointing it out so you don't think I'm copying your perspective. I wrote that post before I saw this one. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #821 on: August 09, 2021, 09:01:09 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2021, 06:46:14 PM by "?" »

I don't know which take is more laughable. "California GOP Governor Larry Elder will win in 2022 because B I D E N M I D T E R M" or "It's actually bad to encourage more people to vote"
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #822 on: August 09, 2021, 09:51:31 PM »

I don't know which take is more laughable. "California GOP Governor Larry Elder will win in 2022 because B I D E N M I D T E R M" or "It's actually bad for governments to encourage more people to vote"

Stop counting chicken 🐔🐔🐔, Gov Newsom is still GOV, they already said it will be a long night with VBM

Trump approvals were upside down 43/46 Biden is right side up 46/43 Trump was being impeached for Ukraine, his wife is Ukrainian
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #823 on: August 10, 2021, 05:25:25 AM »

Does anyone know when that site that tracks CA mail ins/early voting goes live?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #824 on: August 10, 2021, 10:36:05 AM »

I voted No on Recall and mailed my ballot
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to: