Michael Parenti, roughly, in defense of the Soviet Union (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:38:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Michael Parenti, roughly, in defense of the Soviet Union (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Michael Parenti, roughly, in defense of the Soviet Union  (Read 4571 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: April 20, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »

The video is a bit long so I might not get around to watching it for awhile. Before I do however, I think it is worth noting there is no such thing as a failed experiment in science - only results from which we can learn. Although tragic events clearly transpired in the Soviet Union and it would be most wise for us not to replicate those outcomes in the future, it remains obvious to me that not every public policy and every leader at every tier of government in the Soviet Union was HP'esque. That is not to suggest I'm a closeted Stalinist or Soviet apologist - merely that most major powers achieve both laudable and horrific things over the courses of their histories. There are things to admire, and to condemn. My perception of the USSR is of a grand vision gone awry on many levels.

Bickering over "capitalism" killing X number of folks and "communism" Y is, in my opinion, simplistic. A well conceived ideology itself usually does not kill people. That much is achieved by the ideology being poorly implemented and/or grievously perverted or betrayed by flawed government officials.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies