Second Jewish cemetery vandalized, this time in Philadelphia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:09:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Second Jewish cemetery vandalized, this time in Philadelphia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Second Jewish cemetery vandalized, this time in Philadelphia  (Read 3650 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2017, 02:01:49 PM »
« edited: February 28, 2017, 02:04:37 PM by DavidB. »

Breitbart is not antisemitic and Steve Bannon is probably not antisemitic. There were no antisemitic headlines; the one controversial headline about "renegade Jew" Bill Kristol was written by Joel Pollak, ffs. Mike Pence provided help in restoring the Jewish cemetery in St. Louis. There is no evidence that Donald Trump is an antisemite. Stop making things up at the expense of Jewish communities in the U.S. just because it benefits your political agenda. All these threats and cases of vandalism are terrible enough already. And stop pretending Jewish communities are at war with the Trump administration just because it benefits you liberals politically. Some of the administration's less civilized supporters may just start believing it, with dangerous consequences.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »

Anyway my point before is what type of mindset would someone who says "all Jews should leave the US" usually have? And there is no way you'd ever get all Jews or even a majority to voluntarily migrate from the US, and some might prefer a place where rockets aren't fired at them.

Ironically David actually would agree with me that Nathan's friend is crazy especially based on the last post.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2017, 02:12:08 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2017, 02:16:09 PM by TD »

I get the feeling there are fringes in both ideological extremes that may carry some anti-semitism (in the Left, it's usually marked anger towards the treatment of Palestinians), and on the Right, I think it's ancient European anti-semitism.

That said, the Right definitely has a stronger fringe who have a marked anti-Semitism streak going on. For this reason, I understand why 69% of Jews voted for Hillary Clinton.  There's a significant alt-right bloc that vehemently embraces the crazy bigotry against Jews, Muslims, non-whites, etc. They've been emboldened by recent victories. Obviously, I think they're responsible for this property damage of these graves.

Hating on these groups may strengthen the cultural identification of these people claiming it, ergo this was an act of trying to assert cultural dominance over what they saw as "weak" or 'opposition' ethnicities.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »

Breitbart is not antisemitic and Steve Bannon is probably not antisemitic.

I seriously don't understand how someone can say this on the one hand while also claiming that Obama/the Obama administration was anti-Semitic.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 02:16:20 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2017, 02:21:30 PM by DavidB. »

Oh, let me be clear, BRTD: while I personally think it would be good for all Jews in the U.S. to move to Israel, I don't want all of them them to do so now, unless Mashiach comes. I only want the patriotic ones to come. A loud and influential far-left minority of American Jews are crazy, have a terrible effect on U.S. society, and would doubtlessly have a similar effect on Israel: their religion is not Judaism but extreme leftism. I'd rather not that they make aliyah, and fortunately these people are least likely to do so. I feel sorry for Americans for being stuck with them.

And before people start reporting this, remember self-criticism and introspection is a very Jewish thing Smiley I'd also be the first to point at the achievements of American Jews in U.S. society.

I seriously don't understand how someone can say this on the one hand while also claiming that Obama/the Obama administration was anti-Semitic.
Very simple. The Trump administration is good for Jews. The Obama administration was bad for Jews, and intentionally so.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »

Very simple. The Trump administration is good for Jews. The Obama administration was bad for Jews, and intentionally so.

Wow, you sure convinced me!

On a related note: f**k the unrepresentative, yet utterly cynical right-wing warmongers who traffic in truly ugly racist and anti-Muslim prejudices as a means of accusing Obama of being an anti-Semite. Pay no attention to the thinly veiled (if even that) White Supremacists who have exponentially increased their influence in the Republican Party that now controls the entire US government! As long as they want to bomb Muslims, they're A-OK! Smiley  
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »

Haha, everyone who disagrees with the Obama administration is a racist and, despite Obama being a Christian, anti-Muslim Roll Eyes The Obama administration was not antisemitic because of the guy's skin color or religion but because it intentionally employed antisemitic tropes to defend the Iran deal, because it handled the case of Jonathan Pollard in an antisemitic way, and because it was the most anti-Israeli administration the U.S. has had for decades. But liberals prefer to close their eyes and ears and shout "RACIST" until their opponents understand that facts don't matter to liberals and back off. Meanwhile, there is not a single shred of evidence that the Trump administration includes antisemites. None.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »

Also, I can't speak for American Jews myself seeing as I'm not one, but I imagine that their left-of-center views (in aggregate) might have something to do with the long history of the American Right's anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, and anti-"ethnic" (read: non-WASP/"Anglo"), anti-black features, and that they recognize that these features are highly correlated with one another - especially considering that anti-Semitism and hostility towards the Left and "liberal elites" ("Hollywood", "pointy-headed intellectuals", "race traitors", "n***ger lovers", and yes, "Wall Street") also have traditionally gone hand-in-hand at various points in American history (and European history, for that matter). Just a thought, though.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »

Haha, everyone who disagrees with the Obama administration is a racist and, despite Obama being a Christian, anti-Muslim Roll Eyes The Obama administration was not antisemitic because of the guy's skin color or religion but because it intentionally employed antisemitic tropes to defend the Iran deal, because it handled the case of Jonathan Pollard in an antisemitic way, and because it was the most anti-Israeli administration the U.S. has had for decades. But liberals prefer to close their eyes and ears and shout "RACIST" until their opponents understand that facts don't matter to liberals and back off. Meanwhile, there is not a single shred of evidence that the Trump administration includes antisemites. None.

Not sure what this is but OK.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »

EnglishPete

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »

Do you read breitbart? Rhetorical question, I already know the answer. Steve Bannon was its editor. You've seen the anti-semetic headlines.

Ah yes the alleged 'anti semetic' headline. From David Horowitz

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/11/14/horowitz-anti-bannon-hysteria-more-evidence-the-left-has-lost-touch-with-the-american-people/

I've bolded the bits that the headline was based on. In other words Kristol is called a 'renegade Jew' in the headline not as a reference to Kristol fitting an anti semitic cliche of a Jew betraying non Jews but as a reference to a Jew betraying other Jews. If you had read the original article rather than hysterical articles in rival publications about the headline you would have seen that.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 02:57:35 PM »

Enjoy your sectarian crusade. Those always end well!
elcorazon

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2017, 03:03:09 PM »

Why did Trump not mention Jews in his statement on holocaust remembrance day? evidence that he is pandering to anti-semites
Why did he ignore TWICE direct questions about anti-semitic activities in two separate press conferences? evidence that he is pandering to anti-semites
Why did he use the yellow Star of David with the money during the campaign? evidence that he is pandering to anti-semites
Why does David Duke keep approving of every move of the President? evidence of racism and anti-semitism
elcorazon

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2017, 03:41:02 PM »

There is a growing problem of anti-Semitism on the alt-right. Of course, this is the hardcore faction of the alt-right that merely supports Trump. Not the more mainstream alt-light faction that Trump has brought into the White House via Bannon, most of whom are basically just normal conservatives who have latched onto the immigration issue and/or meme culture. I don't think Trump can be linked to this anti-Semitism at all.

However it's still troubling. I'm seeing Holocaust denialism and anti-Semitism becoming much more mainstream on the internet. I was originally hesitant to say this because I didn't want to feed into Jewish people's usual delusions about anti-Semitism. They've been saying "anti-Semitism is coming back!" since the end of WW2 and most of that time it's been paranoia and completely crap. Now it really is coming back though.

It started out as young right-wingers getting called Nazi and then striking back by ironically reappropriating Nazi imagery.  There's been some irony creep though and along the way, some of these people (and increasing percentage unfortunately) have become legitimately hostile to the Jews.

I don't really know what can be done to fight it. Trump might have to come out and denounce it at some point. I see no reason why he shouldn't. It's still a small enough group of people doing it, with nowhere else to go politically, that it wouldn't hurt him. That's talking about it from a purely political angle, by the way. Clearly from a moral angle, he should absolutely denounce it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »

There is a growing problem of anti-Semitism on the alt-right. Of course, this is the hardcore faction of the alt-right that merely supports Trump. Not the more mainstream alt-light faction that Trump has brought into the White House via Bannon, most of whom are basically just normal conservatives who have latched onto the immigration issue and/or meme culture. I don't think Trump can be linked to this anti-Semitism at all.

However it's still troubling. I'm seeing Holocaust denialism and anti-Semitism becoming much more mainstream on the internet. I was originally hesitant to say this because I didn't want to feed into Jewish people's usual delusions about anti-Semitism. They've been saying "anti-Semitism is coming back!" since the end of WW2 and most of that time it's been paranoia and completely crap. Now it really is coming back though.

It started out as young right-wingers getting called Nazi and then striking back by ironically reappropriating Nazi imagery.  There's been some irony creep though and along the way, some of these people (and increasing percentage unfortunately) have become legitimately hostile to the Jews.

I don't really know what can be done to fight it. Trump might have to come out and denounce it at some point. I see no reason why he shouldn't. It's still a small enough group of people doing it, with nowhere else to go politically, that it wouldn't hurt him. That's talking about it from a purely political angle, by the way. Clearly from a moral angle, he should absolutely denounce it.
Exactly.
EnglishPete

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »

There have been a lot of hoax hate crimes happening over the last few months, even more than usual. Given that there have been plenty of hoax anti-gay hate crimes, hoax anti-black hate crimes, hoax anti-muslim hate crimes etc why would reports of anti-Jewish hate crimes be different? What would make hoaxes impossible for those reports when they are clearly all too common elsewhere? Why would anyone think that its anti-semitic to suggest that they're not different?
EnglishPete

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »

Trump advisor also blames Dems citing James O Keefe:

Except in the tweet he doesn't blame the Dems. He suggests its possible that it could be a hoax by Dem supporters, which it could very well be.
EnglishPete

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2017, 08:34:21 PM by EnglishPete »

Trump advisor also blames Dems citing James O Keefe:

Except in the tweet he doesn't blame the Dems. He suggests its possible that it could be a hoax by Dem supporters, which it could very well be.

He's citing O Keefe...a legit conspiracy theorist who makes shyt up all the time

O'keefe has address this point himself tonight

James O'Keefe‏ @JamesOKeefeIII
 Correction for @NBCNews: We didn't have to claim anything, @TheDemocrats in our videos claimed it themselves

and he's absolutely right about that. When you have several different undercover videos showing Dem operatives boasting about being involved in planned disruption of Trump rallies then it doesn't matter if you trust O'Keefe or not, the evidence that those Dem operatives were telling the truth in the undercover videos is pretty strong.

And that's not to mention the hate crime hoax after hate crime hoax after hate crime hoax reported in the news over the last few months, and indeed years. In that context it wouldn't be smart to jump to conclusions.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »

You'd think if the left were such diabolical masterminds they'd have figured out a way to actually win elections
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2017, 10:15:25 PM »

OK here's my main point:

Why would a Jew feel safer living somewhere where rockets are fired at them than in a place where some acts of vandalism happen?

For that matter I would never serve in the military and wouldn't want any hypothetical children of mine to do so against their will, so if I were Jewish I'd sure be staying put in the US over Israel.

Not surprising. I guarantee that no Jews I know have any interest in moving to Israel and in fact most probably don't even have any interest in even visiting Israel.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »

If there was an actual anti-Semite as President of the United States, Israel would cease to exist.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »

OK here's my main point:

Why would a Jew feel safer living somewhere where rockets are fired at them than in a place where some acts of vandalism happen?
for the same reason it's better to be in a trench with your company with bullets whizzing by over head than to be alone in the middle of a quiet "no man's land".

Or in words you can understand, it's safer to be in the middle of the most pit with your friends than it is to be by yourself on the edge between songs.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »

Where do most American Jews have more friends, the US or Israel?

Most have as many personal ties to Israel as I do.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2017, 10:03:52 AM »

Where do most American Jews have more friends, the US or Israel?

Most have as many personal ties to Israel as I do.

I have more friends in England, Canada, Jamaica, Australia and France than I do in Israel.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies