McCain's latest move; brilliant or insane? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:18:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain's latest move; brilliant or insane? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain's latest move; brilliant or insane?  (Read 8963 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 24, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »

I think this move is a net loss, because it reinforces the growing narrative of McCain as highly erratic in his response to the current crisis. I think Americans are savvy enough to realize that if a deal is cut, that it will have little to do with the involvement of McCain or Obama.

Granted, McCain doesn't have a strong hand here, and has to break the bad news cycle of the past few weeks, in an environment where the meltdown will be a major topic for almost all Americans.

Bush looked much better tonight in promoting the "bi-partisan compromise" than McCain's stunt, although granted Bush's initial response was fairly tepid at best.

We'll see how this plays out over the next few days--- this is still a very fluid and dangerous time for Both Obama & McCain.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:02:46 PM »

Nothing succeeds like success.

It has to work, however.  Wink

But will there be enough time for a bailout to be shown to work, even if it does?  The only economic indicator that might show results quickly enough for people to believe it has worked before the election concludes is the stock market, and I can't see where we get a bull market that takes the Dow above 13,000 between now and November, even in the most optimistic of outcomes from the bailout.

Agreed... failure will be more easily observable before the election than success.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies