SR 105-18: Labor Rights Amendment (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:40:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 105-18: Labor Rights Amendment (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SR 105-18: Labor Rights Amendment (Failed)  (Read 1759 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« on: October 16, 2021, 09:31:23 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2021, 03:14:04 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

AN AMENDMENT
to the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia:
Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Amendment shall be, the “Labor Rights Amendment.” It may be cited by its ordinal number in order of ratification.

Section 2 (Labor Rights Amendment)
i. The following shall be appended to Article I of the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia as the next section thereof:
A full-enfranchised working class being necessary for the prosperity of a free people, the right of the working people to organize and bargain collectively shall not be infringed.

This amendment to the Bill of Rights would protect the right of wage-earners to unionize free from the subversive influence of employers or the state.

Sponsor: Western Democrat

The gentleman from Oregon is recognized.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 10:04:35 PM »

I have always maintained that unions ought to be protected by freedom of assembly, but the Bill of Rights is null on the matter of unions. I support this amendment to guarantee workers the right to organize.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 11:51:43 PM »

Would this protect unions just from public employers or private ones as well? I'm guessing both. Either way, I oppose this. Unions should only be backed by their own inherent power, not by that of the state. Excess unionization can cripple the economy.

I would support exemptions for, say, doctors - but they don't unionize. Union bosses are another story, but the union workers themselves are just folks trying to get by.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 01:18:09 PM »

Do Atlasians already pay union dues? And if not, would this amendment by implying that citizens have to join a union? I am personally in favor, but officially neutral on unions because I leave it up to the regions. I am curious.

This amendment does not mandate union membership, it merely recognizes their right to exist, organize, and bargain for higher wages and better living standards.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies