the "natural-born" requirement for president (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:23:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  the "natural-born" requirement for president (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the "natural-born" requirement for president  (Read 2705 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« on: December 17, 2020, 10:26:48 AM »
« edited: December 17, 2020, 10:32:15 AM by StateBoiler »

the fact that younger people can't be Senators or Representatives is outdated as well.

In Australia you can both vote and stand for federal office once you are a legal adult but in the USA you cannot.

If we're doing this game, the fact that Australians can't vote for the individual that runs their government is outdated as well.

You worry about your Constitution and we'll worry about ours. You have no standing in the manner until you move here and become a naturalized U.S. citizen, for the same reason I have no standing to criticize the structure of the Australian government seeing as I am not Australian and therefore have no skin in the game.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »

The requirement was there not because of xenophobia but aristophobia. There was a exaggerated concern that some scion of a European royal family would be put forth as a potential President. Not an entirely unwarranted concern given what later happened in Greece, Romania, and Mexico.

In part explains the Titles of Nobility Amendment which almost became law. Applied to modern-day, I think would've meant Megham Markle would've been stripped of her U.S. citizenship upon becoming the Duchess of Sussex.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:39:37 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2020, 10:45:34 AM by StateBoiler »

the fact that younger people can't be Senators or Representatives is outdated as well.

In Australia you can both vote and stand for federal office once you are a legal adult but in the USA you cannot.

If we're doing this game, the fact that Australians can't vote for the individual that runs their government is outdated as well.

You worry about your Constitution and we'll worry about ours. You have no standing in the manner until you move here and become a naturalized U.S. citizen, for the same reason I have no standing to criticize the structure of the Australian government.

StateBoiler, you have made your stance on this matter clear in the past, but please don't play thought police on this forum and let people voice their opinions.

If he or she wants to have an opinion, great. I will stand by and state my philosophical principle based on republican democracy of the citizenry in opposition to that opinion and will then state why his or her opinion is not only wrong but also dangerous to republican democracy in an 8 to 10-page thesis that would make John Locke proud.

Just because this forum is a cesspool does not mean I am required to accept it. If you don't want enlightenment of ideas here, what is the raison d'etre of this forum?

And if he or she actually is American, great, he or she has skin in the game and the opinion is then valid for discussion. But then why lie about where you live?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies