Making English the national language (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:25:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Making English the national language (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Making English the national language  (Read 1475 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« on: November 18, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »

What are the complications and consequences down the road if we don't make English the national language? That's what I'd like to know.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »

I'm from the old school on this subject I think. So I have a question if anyone would care to answer.

WHY don't people want to learn English, the language of their country of CHOICE?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »

I'm from the old school on this subject I think. So I have a question if anyone would care to answer.

WHY don't people want to learn English, the language of their country of CHOICE?

I think they have the right to not learn English.  I just do not fell there should be any public subsides (like multi-language government documentation etc etc) to support that behavior.  They should bear the economic consequences of their decision without subsidies from the public sector.

But don't you think that not learning English is a drag on society for everyone? Where is the cohesion? Where is the commonality? Not to mention a person's ability to get ahead in this society...it's not there when they don't speak the language.

(I guess this conversation is straying from the intent of the thread....oops!)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 12:17:07 AM »

It seems bizarre to me that we elected a President who doesn't speak English.

Who? The closest thing we've had to one is Martin Van Buren, whose native language was Dutch, and who spoke English as a second language. I suspect his accent would have been disqualifyingly strong had there been recordings around back then.

Pussygrabber doesn't speak English.

Oh, he uses English words. But emails from Nigerian spammers have better grammar, and DVR instructions in Chinglish are better at actual communication. He is not using the English language, any more than a bot that randomly strings together words until it detects a positive response is.

lol! I agree.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies