2016 Congressional Primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:53:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2016 Congressional Primaries
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 49
Author Topic: 2016 Congressional Primaries  (Read 72554 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: August 03, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »

I spent last Friday and Saturday driving west to east across KS with an overnight say in Great Bend. I wasn't on the interstate, so there were lots of small towns with political signs to see. Though signs don't vote, they give some sense of political organization. There were more than twice as many Dr. Roger Marshall signs as there were Tim Huelskamp signs. I'm not surprised at the primary result.

The most notable instance of yard signs I ever remember was in 1998.  Republican Governor Bill Graves was running for reelection, as was Republican Congressman Vince Snowbarger.  It was not difficult that year to drive around and see Graves signs in the same yard as signs for Snowbarger's Democratic opponent.  In the end, at least 1/4 of the electorate must have split their votes that year, as Snowbarger lost while Graves carried every county in the state.

This year, I wonder how much Huelskamp was hurt by the periodic flare-up in Kansas Republican internecine warfare.  He wasn't the only one who lost, as six state senators were defeated last night by challengers running to their left.

I'll be in KC after the election in Nov. It will be interesting to see the how these down ballot results have played out.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #651 on: August 04, 2016, 01:03:15 AM »

Updated Washington 7 Second Place
Brady Piñero Walkinshaw 24,285
Joe McDermott 23,798

On the Washington State Secretary of State Website they have a link on the candidate's name that allows them to send in some information about themselves and write a statement.

This is the statement by Republican First District candidate Robert Sutherland, who advanced to the runoff:

"Statement: Professional politicians are dividing Americans, between Left vs Right, Rich vs Poor, Black vs White. I will fight for everyone’s Rights in the US Constitution and to limit the federal government’s involvement into every aspect of our personal lives, including NSA spying on innocent Americans, which doctors we can or cannot go see, or allowing men into girls restrooms. Enough already, you’re fired.

Meanwhile Congress is bankrupting the Country with their never-ending deficit spending on foreign aid, ever-increasing welfare programs and endless wars on drugs, poverty and terror. I will fight for a balanced budget and debt reduction so we don’t pass on to our children a debt so large they will struggle to pay it back.

Like Ronald Reagan I consider myself a “Citizen Politician”, having spent most of my life outside of politics. Like JF Kennedy I believe “Ask not what your Country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your Country.” And like Martin Luther King JR. I believe we should “judge a man not by the color of his skin but by the content of his character.”

A “rising tide lifts all boats”. Lowering the tax burden on American companies to globally competitive rates will jump-start our economy, create jobs and lift wages. “Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.” Let’s help those who need our help, not by giving them endless free stuff but by teaching them the necessary skills they need to become proud, productive members of our community, lowering deficit spending.

Secure our borders. Heal our sick veterans. 0% student loans. No freeway tolls. Only citizens can vote. Replace Obamacare. End the IRS, BLM, DOE, ATF. Jail corrupt politicians. Go Hawks."

I wonder if Sutherland talks in idiotic talking points and cliches as well.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #652 on: August 04, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »

Polls close at 8 EST in TN tonight. Results here: http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/house/tennessee

Go Starrett!
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #653 on: August 04, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »

Joe McDermott 23,798

On the Washington State Secretary of State Website they have a link on the candidate's name that allows them to send in some information about themselves and write a statement.

This is the statement by Republican First District candidate Robert Sutherland, who advanced to the runoff:

"Statement: Professional politicians are dividing Americans, between Left vs Right, Rich vs Poor, Black vs White. I will fight for everyone’s Rights in the US Constitution and to limit the federal government’s involvement into every aspect of our personal lives, including NSA spying on innocent Americans, which doctors we can or cannot go see, or allowing men into girls restrooms. Enough already, you’re fired.

Meanwhile Congress is bankrupting the Country with their never-ending deficit spending on foreign aid, ever-increasing welfare programs and endless wars on drugs, poverty and terror. I will fight for a balanced budget and debt reduction so we don’t pass on to our children a debt so large they will struggle to pay it back.

Like Ronald Reagan I consider myself a “Citizen Politician”, having spent most of my life outside of politics. Like JF Kennedy I believe “Ask not what your Country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your Country.” And like Martin Luther King JR. I believe we should “judge a man not by the color of his skin but by the content of his character.”

A “rising tide lifts all boats”. Lowering the tax burden on American companies to globally competitive rates will jump-start our economy, create jobs and lift wages. “Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.” Let’s help those who need our help, not by giving them endless free stuff but by teaching them the necessary skills they need to become proud, productive members of our community, lowering deficit spending.

Secure our borders. Heal our sick veterans. 0% student loans. No freeway tolls. Only citizens can vote. Replace Obamacare. End the IRS, BLM, DOE, ATF. Jail corrupt politicians. Go Hawks."

Jesus. I hope DelBene wins.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #654 on: August 04, 2016, 04:21:01 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2016, 04:23:24 PM by a.scott »

FL-23: Disgraced Debbie to debate Canova

That scandal really did a number on her.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #655 on: August 04, 2016, 05:16:02 PM »

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #656 on: August 04, 2016, 05:19:22 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #657 on: August 04, 2016, 05:19:43 PM »

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #658 on: August 04, 2016, 05:22:07 PM »

I'm going to predict Kelsey wins tn-09 and that desjarlais wins though I'm praying for a starrett upset
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #659 on: August 04, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »

Joe McDermott 23,798

Jesus. I hope DelBene wins.

I don't think that's in doubt.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #660 on: August 04, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »

Has the Club for Growth endorsed a candidate for TN-08, or run ads for someone?
I have found nothing, and I would be surprised if they didn't.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #661 on: August 04, 2016, 07:20:52 PM »

0.4% Reporting
Starrett 39
Desjarlais 37

Go Starrett!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #662 on: August 04, 2016, 07:25:04 PM »

The Tennessee SOS website is way ahead of the AP: http://www.elections.tn.gov/results.php

With about 11,000 votes counted DesJarlais is leading Starrett 49-47. Flinn is leading Kustoff 33-23, with several other candidates in the teens; Black is leading Carr 70-25.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #663 on: August 04, 2016, 07:31:10 PM »

Big vote dump. DesJarlais leads Starrett 10,322-10,249. 73 votes, 47%-47%.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #664 on: August 04, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »

Looks like Carr is getting THRASHED by Diane Black.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #665 on: August 04, 2016, 07:55:18 PM »

I'm just surprised that Flinn is actually winning in CD-8.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #666 on: August 04, 2016, 07:59:29 PM »

Probably name recognition, he has run a couple times before
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #667 on: August 04, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »

Is he a freedom caucus Guy?
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #668 on: August 04, 2016, 08:10:05 PM »

Is he a freedom caucus Guy?

He's a millionaire businessman and perennial candidate who always self-funds and I don't think has come close before. I'm not exactly clear on which faction he's closest to.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #669 on: August 04, 2016, 08:12:11 PM »

Updated 7th District Primary Numbers
Pramila Jayapal 55,001, 40.02%
Brady Pinero Walkinshaw 29,334, 21.34%
Joe McDermott, 28,112 20.45%
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #670 on: August 04, 2016, 08:22:02 PM »

TN-8: Kustoff now ahead of Flinn 27%-24%. State Sen. Brian Kelsey, generally presumed before the election to have been the frontrunner, still in fifth place with 13%.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #671 on: August 04, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »

TN-8: Kustoff now ahead of Flinn 27%-24%. State Sen. Brian Kelsey, generally presumed before the election to have been the frontrunner, still in fifth place with 13%.
Kustoff, establishment or tea party?
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #672 on: August 04, 2016, 08:28:40 PM »

CD-6 called for Black.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #673 on: August 04, 2016, 08:29:37 PM »

Kustoff, establishment or tea party?

He is a former U.S Attorney, so probably establishment.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #674 on: August 04, 2016, 08:39:21 PM »

CD-4: DesJarlais lead up to 52%-44%.
CD-8: Kustoff's lead down to about 300 votes over Flinn.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies