Matt Walsh advocated for impregnating 16 year olds because it's "technically when ... most fertile" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:57:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Matt Walsh advocated for impregnating 16 year olds because it's "technically when ... most fertile" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Matt Walsh advocated for impregnating 16 year olds because it's "technically when ... most fertile"  (Read 1341 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: October 05, 2022, 11:59:18 AM »

I'm suspicious of this.
Of course, it's easy to cut the context and make something out of nothing.

Around here it is commonplace. 

The video is over two minutes long, giving ample context to explain what he's saying.  How much more context do you need?  Did you watch/listen to it?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 02:25:04 PM »

I'm suspicious of this.
Of course, it's easy to cut the context and make something out of nothing.

I know you pride yourself on being an above-it-all centrist skepticbro but literally just watch the video lmao
I saw the video and it not only doesn't present any proof of him actually advocating for impregnating 16 year olds, it's very likely in the context of something else that puts this in an even more banal background than this appears to be in.

But of course, if you are high on present-ism (what a wonderful drug - makes us feel better about ourselves for the cost of doing actually nothing), it's awfully inconvenient to be shown evidence that once a time, accepted norms were in some cases wildly different for reasons that we can't easily place in a box. That might do something very bad like...threaten your worldview. We can't have that.

Kindly explain what somebody could possibly be arguing when they explain at length that teenage girls getting married and pregnant used to be the norm (which is true; we all know that), and then concludes that "so the problem (today) is not teenage pregnancy; the problem is unwed pregnancy."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 02:27:01 PM »

Tim, respectfully, don't even reply to Fergie any more.  I stopped because, quite frankly, he's not worth your valuable time.

This is pretty rich for somebody who frequently responds to people's posts critiquing your opinions with a one-sentence non sequitur.  Awful as he is, at least Fuzzy Bear puts thought and effort into his deflections.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 02:58:15 PM »

Kindly explain what somebody could possibly be arguing when they explain at length that teenage girls getting married and pregnant used to be the norm (which is true; we all know that), and then concludes that "so the problem (today) is not teenage pregnancy; the problem is unwed pregnancy."

You need to use more of your imaginative capacity if all you can visualize is, conveniently, the argument that makes him look the worst in your eyes, when a wide range of possibilities exists and they've not taken the step of giving us the source of the clip. Say we take your reading of his conclusion at face value; that still fails to make him look very bad. Teen pregnancy is a significantly less common thing in America than it was 40 years ago. Unwed pregnancies are on the other hand more common now than the start of the same time frame.

In any case, I think it's healthy to have skepticism and demand a higher burden of proof than "someone on Twitter decided to summarize it in X and Y terms". If they were so confident in this being the way they say it is (and also intellectually honest), they would have posted a link to something longer than a 139-second-long clip and allowed us to judge it for ourselves.

Minor anecdote here: back in 2014 Democratic senate candidate Mark Pryor was attacked by Republicans on the issue of Social Security. What they did was cherry-pick statements from him talking about potential social security reforms and then sold it as his unaltered opinions (essentially bending the truth to at least try to make him look bad). That's basically the same thing as what these Twitter users likely did here. I'm willing to consider both to be dishonest, I hope you can do the same.

I'll try again:

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 03:21:46 PM »

(IFstudies)
Here's more info on the topic

(Pew Research)
(more info)
The ball is now in your court. Hysteria or reason. Which road will you go down?
Remember that it's never too late to enlighten yourself.

I'm not sure why you went to the effort of providing statistics that we already know. Huh  I even said (twice) that the information Walsh provided "is true; we all know that".  The question is what broader point this creep is trying to make.  Because it sure as hell sounds like he's complaining about society's relatively recent decision that teenage girls getting married and impregnated is pretty gross.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 03:57:41 PM »

Why am I doing this?  What do you mean?  Huh
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 04:07:00 PM »

You're banging your head against a brick wall. It's a waste of your time.

Ah, fair point.  I don't know.  I can't always keep up with which posters are worth interacting with, especially as so many of them have essentially set up shop on their own planets.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies