There is something f地 rotten in major student orgs on campuses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:52:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  There is something f地 rotten in major student orgs on campuses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: There is something f地 rotten in major student orgs on campuses  (Read 7921 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: October 11, 2023, 02:11:56 AM »

Some of these statements that are coming out….Jesus

Here is the *president* of the NYU law student association

Similar statements have been released and undersigned at Harvard, northwestern, Stanford, etc

Additionally, blm’s chicago chapter is honoring the paragliders of the music festival massacre

The older members of my extended family, many of whom are Jewish, taught me to laugh where I can, so I'll just say it: there's something darkly funny about the wording in the "readers added context" bit for the second one. "They are not known for paragliding in other circumstances..."
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 07:03:16 PM »

The left has had a disgusting soft spot for muslim terrorism throughout my entire lifetime. I don't get it.

We elected a president who campaigned on a "Muslim ban." Half of the country spent much of the decade after 9/11 paranoid of anyone who looked like they might be a Mohammedan. I can remember a prominent member of Congress giving a speech warning of a day when this country's currency might bear the words "in Muhammed we trust." It doesn't surprise me at all that this has cultivated the reaction we see today.

Yeah, I remember all that too but I can still bring myself to say that flying planes into buildings is bad, and I don't have to qualify it with a bunch of pseudo-academic gobbledygook garbage.

Most people are not very reflective about these things, and most people's moral heuristics are nakedly tribalist.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 12:34:23 AM »

Right now, the young left's biggest problem is that their brains short-circuit when there are instances of "minority on minority" bigotry. They're fundamentally unequipped to handle it, and usually respond by either arbitrarily designating one group sufficiently white-adjacent enough that they can rationalize it as "punching up", or by ignoring it altogether.

This is not how I would have worded this but it's true. I'm always seeing people say things like "all oppressive systems intertwine and stand or fall together" (not to sound bronzian, but that's a very close paraphrase), which is utterly absurd if you've studied history, especially the history of countries besides the United States; most oppressive systems within the United States are currently pretty tightly interlinked, but foreign countries (such as, but not limited to, the past) are swarming with cases in which two or more different oppressive systems are actively and violently hostile to one another. Famously so, in many cases. There's a whole world out there where, often, The Oppressors are going at one another hammer and tongs, and you do actually have to either pick a lesser evil or just admit that both are bad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies