There is something f地 rotten in major student orgs on campuses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:35:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  There is something f地 rotten in major student orgs on campuses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: There is something f地 rotten in major student orgs on campuses  (Read 7966 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 11, 2023, 02:31:54 PM »

The pro-Hamas sentiment of college student groups is the inevitable conclusion of a worldview that sees being oppressed as inherently righteous. Hopefully this leads to some real soul-searching among people who insisted that there was nothing to worry about there and a serious effort by sane left-of-center people to reject the extreme anti-society ideas that have been allowed to fester on college campuses.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 04:48:24 PM »

The pro-Hamas sentiment of college student groups is the inevitable conclusion of a worldview that sees being oppressed as inherently righteous.

What does this even mean? It sounds like nonsense.

It means that if you believe that being morally justified proceeds from being a victim of oppression, it's pretty easy to go from reading off land acknowledgements to applauding Hamas terrorist attacks. I would have preferred that college students demonstrate genuine moral convictions and not prove conservatives right about them, but that's not what happened.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 05:06:45 PM »

The pro-Hamas sentiment of college student groups is the inevitable conclusion of a worldview that sees being oppressed as inherently righteous.

What does this even mean? It sounds like nonsense.

It means that if you believe that being morally justified proceeds from being a victim of oppression, it's pretty easy to go from reading off land acknowledgements to applauding Hamas terrorist attacks. I would have preferred that college students demonstrate genuine moral convictions and not prove conservatives right about them, but that's not what happened.

Do you understand what oppression means?

Opression: Prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control. The state of being subject to unjust treatment or control.

As I have said I think violence is a terrible way to settle disputes since it usually leads to more disputes and great suffering but the media treats many forms of Israeli violence as legitimate to the point that even criticizing it is called anti-Semitic. A defensive technique that is very effective because the Jewish people are a historically oppressed group themselves(oppression at the hands of white Christians mostly).

Yes, I know what oppression means. Oppression is obviously bad, but the insidious side of this ideology is the notion that being oppressed not only means that the oppressor is bad, but that the oppressed is good and upright in what they do.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 07:24:54 PM »

Does anyone find it strange there won't be any protests about Pakistan's expulsion/ethnic cleansing of Afghans by these people? i wonder why

Meh, to be fair that is not nearly as prominent in the news. I was talking to my boss about the violence around the world and I offhandedly mentioned the Armenians fleeing Nagorno-Karabakh; she had no idea that this was a thing, or even that Armenia was a sovereign nation in the year A.D. 2023. Not everyone is as plugged in to current events around the world as we are, though I am sure they would not be as passionate about this as they are about Gaza even if they were equally aware of it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies