Ilhan Omar home wrecker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:08:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar home wrecker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar home wrecker  (Read 3571 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2019, 10:56:25 PM »

This definitely reinforces my extremely negative perception of Omar as a person. Whether it sinks her as a politician is a matter for her, her constituents, and I guess also her donors (such is the world we live in).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2019, 05:41:23 AM »

I think a politician's integrity in the matters of carrying out her or his duties is far more important than personal "morals", as long as no law is being broken. I admit of not having been familiar with the Omar's case. If this is just a case of her sleeping with a married man then it's completely irrelevant. If the law was broken in the course of the affair, then it's a diffrent manner and I'd expect her to be hold accountable.
if a person is willing to stand in front of their friends and family and lie to all their faces (and their god if they have one), what the hell would they be willing to do to the chumps that vote for them?
As of the matter specifically addressed, if we have a politician running on "traditional values" and using his official position to impose said "values" on the others, and then being caught with his pants down, then it's no longer a matter of "private morals". I'm not saying such person should resign or be ejected from office for this, but the voters would have a right to feel conned, and we obviously will have a right to mock him as a hypocrite.
indeed, that is much worse.  But it doesn't make the person who doesn't preach family values any better when they do it.

It makes them vastly less of a hypocrite, which is markedly better, relatively speaking.
sure, if you want to set a really low bar for integrity....I think we should and can do better than people willing to lie to their mother's face.  El Duce wasn't as bad as Hitler, relatively speaking.

We have a bit of strawman here, because there's a far cry from having an affair and being a murderous dictator.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2019, 05:55:11 AM »

This definitely reinforces my extremely negative perception of Omar as a person. Whether it sinks her as a politician is a matter for her, her constituents, and I guess also her donors (such is the world we live in).

This. I think her constituents would be better served by a politician who cares more about his/her district rather than building a national profile.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2019, 06:07:26 AM »

We have a bit of strawman here, because there's a far cry from having an affair and being a murderous dictator.
come on man, obviously I wasn't saying they were the same.  It was just an extreme example of "relatively speaking".

Look guys, I understand that I'm in the minority in caring about our politician's integrity.  Clearly most people only care when it's the other side that's doing it and are much more willing to ignore it when it's done on their side.  Just like most other bad things.  The other side is "bought off" by special interests, my side is "invested in" by like minded NGOs.  My side left the state house so they wouldn't have to vote on a corrupt bill, the other side left the house because they lost an election and don't want to suffer the results of that.  When their guy marries a secretary it's a disgusting abuse of power, when my guy does it it's true love.  When we come up with motivations in our head, it's easy to think the worst of the other guy and the best for your own.  It's human nature.  Just like adultery, unkempt beards and hating people that don't look like you.  And we should try to be better.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2019, 06:35:26 AM »

Re: “we shouldn’t hold our politicians to moral accountability”, my stance is basically that if you knew a friend of yours was cheating on his wife, you’d rightly think “this guy’s a piece of sh#t.”
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2019, 07:05:04 AM »

Re: “we shouldn’t hold our politicians to moral accountability”, my stance is basically that if you knew a friend of yours was cheating on his wife, you’d rightly think “this guy’s a piece of sh#t.”

At no point have I said that someone's personal conduct can't influence our opinion of said person. My entire point is that when we're deciding who to support, it's should be far less important than issues such as policy or someone's ability to do the job (and I'm not talking about Omar's particular case, but in general terms). I disagree with the notion that politicians should have to pass a test for personal virtue in matters such as sex in order to qualify for the job. And speaking of "integrity", I'd rather have someone with questionable personal morals but enough integrity on the public office than the other way around.

Ultimately it's up to the people to decide. If this plays an important role in your choices, it's your right. I take a diffrent approach, even if it's unpopular on here.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2019, 07:22:16 AM »

The other side is "bought off" by special interests, my side is "invested in" by like minded NGOs.  My side left the state house so they wouldn't have to vote on a corrupt bill, the other side left the house because they lost an election and don't want to suffer the results of that.  When their guy marries a secretary it's a disgusting abuse of power, when my guy does it it's true love.

I actually agree with you. However, things you're referring to are directly related to someone's work as a public official. And yes, sleeping with one's employee is pretty inappropriate, from both personal and professional standpoint. However, all the time I've been referring to a public official having an affair that is not connected to his or her public work, which, unless the law is being broken in the process, I see as a separate matter.

Also, you keep bringing "my side, your side" argument, even though I've been speaking in general terms, not referring to Omar's case nor somebody's from "the other side". You're right there's a lot of hypocrisy, no dispute here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2019, 07:27:53 AM »

I'm speaking in general terms too, not specifically about this case.  If there were overlaps with Omar, it was unintentional.
Epaminondas

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2019, 11:08:30 PM »

Is there much difference between the Daily Mail and NY Post?

Just one: the NYP has no comments section for their rage-filled readers to spew bile.
Thus, a calmer read.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2019, 07:55:20 PM »

This. I think her constituents would be better served by a politician who cares more about his/her district rather than building a national profile.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »

I think a politician's integrity in the matters of carrying out her or his duties is far more important than personal "morals", as long as no law is being broken. I admit of not having been familiar with the Omar's case. If this is just a case of her sleeping with a married man then it's completely irrelevant. If the law was broken in the course of the affair, then it's a diffrent manner and I'd expect her to be hold accountable.
if a person is willing to stand in front of their friends and family and lie to all their faces (and their god if they have one), what the hell would they be willing to do to the chumps that vote for them?
As of the matter specifically addressed, if we have a politician running on "traditional values" and using his official position to impose said "values" on the others, and then being caught with his pants down, then it's no longer a matter of "private morals". I'm not saying such person should resign or be ejected from office for this, but the voters would have a right to feel conned, and we obviously will have a right to mock him as a hypocrite.
indeed, that is much worse.  But it doesn't make the person who doesn't preach family values any better when they do it.

It makes them vastly less of a hypocrite, which is markedly better, relatively speaking.

I would prefer someone who advocates the establishment and maintenance of two-parent marital families that strayed from their marriage than someone who flat-out rejected the idea and lived accordingly.  One person would be advocating a position that would lead to better outcomes for children in the aggregate; the other would be true to principles that, if practiced, would result in less desirable outcomes for children in the aggregate.  And by outcomes, I mean outcomes that could be measured in terms of stability, happiness, and achievement in life.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2019, 10:22:13 PM »

So, is there any more evidence for this accusation yet? Or is it still at the same level as the accusations that Donald Trump, leader of the Republican Party, is a rapist and pedophile?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2019, 02:57:26 PM »

Omar has now filed for divorce. The article doesn't seem to contain anything new about the affair allegations.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2019, 10:50:10 PM »

Omar has now filed for divorce. The article doesn't seem to contain anything new about the affair allegations.
Excuse me while I slide into her DMs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies