Discipline Problems in Classrooms reaching crises levels
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 08:06:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Discipline Problems in Classrooms reaching crises levels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Discipline Problems in Classrooms reaching crises levels  (Read 1964 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »

News Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om7yVbuap9k

Here is the full Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfr2FeTdfPA&t=9s

While these videos are just about Portland Metro Area Schools I doubt its only affecting Portland
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »

Not surprised. I'm in my first year teaching (6th, 7th, and 8th grade Social Studies) and it's become more apparent now from when I was in middle school.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »

Not surprised. I'm in my first year teaching (6th, 7th, and 8th grade Social Studies) and it's become more apparent now from when I was in middle school.

Even in high school I graduated 7 years ago oh, it was very much a problem that you had people who would not listen to the teachers it would get so bad that the security would have to be called in to get the students out of class it was ridiculous
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 03:35:44 PM »

But according to the video , kids now are their objects at teachers, running away from the school and because of a law change made a few years , teachers arent even allowed to grab the kid to stop him from running and when they are misbehaving they have to clear the class rather than get rid of the student.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »

The logical outcome of an education system that seems designed to devalue and humiliate both students and teachers as much as possible.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »

This is what fortnite has done to our society.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 03:45:08 PM »

It's the parents fault, nearly every time. The parents should make it clear to their children that disruptive behavior is not acceptable.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »

It's the parents fault, nearly every time. The parents should make it clear to their children that disruptive behavior is not acceptable.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 03:49:09 PM »

Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 03:57:30 PM »

I do not envy middle school or high school teachers.

I didnt even really like teenagers when I was one. I dont know how anyone does it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 04:00:57 PM »

I do not envy middle school or high school teachers.

I didnt even really like teenagers when I was one. I dont know how anyone does it.

Elementary Schoolers have become a problem as well, and teachers in that video says kids even as young as 6 or 7 are the ones throwing objects at them , or hitting them , or running out of the school.

Like WTH , that almost never happened when I was an elementary schooler and now its becoming more and more routine
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 04:02:58 PM »

It's one of the reasons I quit teaching.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »

It's one of the reasons I quit teaching.

Schools are one of the places where all of societies failures and problems show up. I think being a schoolteacher is the most important job in America and we treat them so poorly. It's cool that you taught, thank you.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 04:33:19 PM »

This is what fortnite has done to our society.

Lol no, Fortnite is just this generation's Runescape. I remember how popular it was from 2007-2010 as almost every friend I used to have used to play it and when we used to to each other's houses we used to bring our laptops so we could play Runescape together.

And discipline problems then werent as bad as they are now
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 04:45:23 PM »

I blame desegregation.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »

When I was in Catholic school the mother superior would smack us on the knuckles with a ruler, We called her the bad habit.  Confused
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 05:33:11 PM »

My mom retired early last year because of how bad discipline in her 4th grade class had gotten. She had more than 1 student claim their parent told them they didn't have to listen to white teachers. One parent demanded a hearing on a disruption related suspension on the grounds that it was racist, even though there was not a single white student in the class. She had one 4th grader literally challenge the principal to a fight. She had a student punch through a glass display case during a tantrum. In the last few years she was struck on multiple occasions by students with none of the incidents resulting in a suspension. There is no longer any institutional support for discipline and those suffering as a result are teachers and the majority of students who are there to learn.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 06:16:31 PM »

Finally, something I can agree with.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 06:36:38 PM »

And you wonder why teachers are so angry? America has coddled tens for too long.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »

I'm glad my school isn't a hellhole like the school in that video, I can't believe that the thing mainly in my school for discipline is talking
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 07:23:51 PM »

But according to the video , kids now are their objects at teachers, running away from the school and because of a law change made a few years , teachers arent even allowed to grab the kid to stop him from running and when they are misbehaving they have to clear the class rather than get rid of the student.

Yep, and I'm not surprised unfortunately. This year I had a 7th grader boy drop the f-bomb multiple times in class and tell me to go f myself. Also had a 7th grade girl refer to me as "mentally challenged." The "no touching" of students is something I've heard of as well when they're causing issues.

It's a very tough profession, and I wouldn't go into it unless you're 100% sold on it. There are good days and bad days. Despite those aforementioned stories, I actually work in a decent school district so I have it better than a lot of other teachers.

It's exhausting at times, but there are few things better than when a troubled student has a good day, or you finally get through to that one kid who now understands what is going on in class.
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 07:25:52 PM »

The logical outcome of an education system that seems designed to devalue and humiliate both students and teachers as much as possible.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 07:27:03 PM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »

This is a complicated problem that does not have one cause nor one simple solution. Parents sometimes have some responsibility, but not always. I think that our classrooms are reflecting the current zeitgeist in our country very well. A lot of students think respect is something that they only have to give to certain people, and can you blame them? That's how a lot of the so-called "adults" act in society nowadays. Many students feel neglected. Not just by their parents, but by society in general, by previous teachers, and by their peers, and act out in order to get some kind of attention. Students also face enormous stress with the omnipresence of high-stakes tests and assessments which they may feel incapable of doing well on. Others have been taught from a young age through many mediums that they can't succeed and have come to internalize it; if they can't do well, why even try?

And then, there's the reality that for those of us teaching middle and high school, we get very little time per student. The best we can often hope for is to move the needle, and sometimes even a small amount of progress from a student can be undone if they have a bad experience either at home, in another classroom, with one of their peers, etc. Smaller class sizes would help each student get more attention, but the reality is that issues outside of the classroom need to be addressed as well, and parenting is still only part of the equation. Not to mention, holding parents accountable sounds great, but how do we actually achieve that? Giving students recognition for good performance and behavior (note the distinction between recognition and a "reward") is usually what schools try to do, but for students who aren't doing well, they and their parents often either don't care, or see improvement as impossible.

I think that it would take a change in our entire society and values to truly improve our education system, and while things have changed in the past 5-10 years, it hasn't been for the better.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 09:02:08 PM »

I'm glad my school isn't a hellhole like the school in that video, I can't believe that the thing mainly in
my school for discipline is talking

I attended schools in the Beaverton School District and things were never bad as before . I remember when I was in elementary schools kids who ran in the hall way teachers would stop them by lightly grabbing their hands then taking them to the office . The idea of letting a child run out of the school and all the teacher can do is follow them would have been unthinkable.

And it’s just not in the bad schools as my mom is a Teacher Assistant at an elementary school which is located in a pretty affluent neighborhood and it still has many of the problems those schools in the video do
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies