HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:26:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument  (Read 10665 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: August 21, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »

I'm a current unc student and I was at the site last night--sadly wasn't there for the toppling, but several of my close friends were. Ama.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »

I'm a current unc student and I was at the site last night--sadly wasn't there for the toppling, but several of my close friends were. Ama.

Did they have a good time?

I think so. Frankly this was about as orderly as it possibly could have been--the police didn't really engage with the protestors when it came time to take down the statue. They're probably burnt out tbh; they've had to monitor it pointlessly 24-7 for a very long time.

For those saying that "omg the students should have just gone elsewhere": UNC has a large population of lower-income college students, attracted by its Carolina Covenant Program, which makes it possible for those students to graduate without loans. Many of these covenant students are Black or Hispanic. Not many other schools have comparable programs, and for lots of students UNC is both the most academically strong and affordable option.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »

The legislature should rebuild it and post a 24-hour armed guard.  The law is the law.

Of course, the irony is is that the police had been watching it 24-7 for several years...
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 07:23:51 PM »

The legislature should rebuild it and post a 24-hour armed guard.  The law is the law.

Of course, the irony is is that the police had been watching it 24-7 for several years...

If you watch the video of them taking it down, I think you see either local city police or university police (or both) in the video. They did not interfere with the students, and it almost looked like they were also glad the stupid thing was destroyed.

I'm quite familiar with the situation, thank you very much.

It's worth noting that the Police had been protecting the monument up until that point--they likely recieved the order to stand down from their superiors.

Is large scale police attacks on civilians worth it to prevent the minor crime of vandalism?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »

Some white nationalists came through today, and quite a few counterprotestors were arrested.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies