HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:47:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument  (Read 10716 times)
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »

The town and the university have both long wanted the statue gone, but the state legislature has prevented them from removing it.
sometimes you gotta do a job yourself. Maybe if the state legislature hadn't held it up, this statue would be in a museum where it can show history.
Just take all these statues and put them into a History Hall of Shame, so people can still learn about the past instead of just erasing it 1984-style.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:12 AM »

It doesn't matter their opinions on the statue. Vandalism is still not acceptable. But of course emotional children who weren't raised to be respectful have no problems with it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2018, 11:12:53 AM »

It doesn't matter their opinions on the statue. Vandalism is still not acceptable. But of course emotional children who weren't raised to be respectful have no problems with it.

The only emotional children around were the state legislature who forced the city to keep it up against their will, and their panicky defenders in this thread. The proresters removed a blight.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2018, 11:17:02 AM »

The only emotional children around were the state legislature who forced the city to keep it up against their will, and their panicky defenders in this thread. The proresters removed a blight.

Sorry, but last I checked vandalism is still a crime. I'm not particularly interested in defending criminals because their opinions were the same as mine. There's ways to express dissatisfaction without acting like idiots.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »

Sorry, but last I checked vandalism is still a crime. I'm not particularly interested in defending criminals because their opinions were the same as mine. There's ways to express dissatisfaction without acting like idiots.

A victimless crime in this case: just the sort of thing any decent civil disobedience campaign would be able to do if previous legal and democratic procedures had been blocked by an authoritarian state.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »

Conservatives who are supposedly concerned about “erasing history” should worry less about this and worry more about the damage Republicans in state legislatures have done and want to do to public education. The Michigan legislation recently proposed a new social studies and history curriculum that purposefully excludes LGBT rights history, abortion rights history, and climate change. They also are telling educators to stop using the phrases “democracy” and “democratic values” because it sounds too much like “Democrat.” No, I’m not kidding.

It’s not like liberals don’t want Confederate history in museums, it’s that we don’t have that choice; we have the choice between glorifying the Confederacy or not.I would gladly put this statue in a museum, but that option was never provided, so this is the second best thing.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »

A victimless crime in this case: just the sort of thing any decent civil disobedience campaign would be able to do if previous legal and democratic procedures had been blocked by an authoritarian state.

The statue itself wasn't harming anyone, and if someone really feels that worked up over a statue, they need to seek help from a mental health professional, not an excuse to commit a crime. Just because they didn't like it doesn't mean they had a right to do it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »

The statue itself wasn't harming anyone, and if someone really feels that worked up over a statue, they need to seek help from a mental health professional, not an excuse to commit a crime. Just because they didn't like it doesn't mean they had a right to do it.

I suppose you were super worked up when Ukrainians tore down the statues of Lenin, right?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »

Remember this horrific act of vandalism?

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2018, 01:04:24 PM »

How dare the people of that nation/community, tear down that statue!
"The statue itself wasn't harming anyone."
The vandals that did this "need to seek help from a mental health professional."
"Just because they didn't like it doesn't mean they had a right to do it."
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2018, 02:16:51 PM »

Neocon BRTD?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2018, 02:26:30 PM »

Few key differences:

1. Silent Sam was a memorial to alumni who defended their state and lost their lives in the war. Per US Code, Confederate Soldiers are considered US Veterans, it's no different than a memorial dedicated to soldiers of any other war. It's not even remotely the same as a symbol of an evil dictator that ran an actual authoritarian government (hate to break it to you, crabcake, but the NC state legislature does not even remotely compare).
2.  The Ukrainian government supported and passed laws allowing for the removal of Lenin statues, and while protesters who tore down statues were investigated for vandalism, the courts ruled that their actions weren't illegal because of existing laws and orders by government officials calling for their removal.
3. In the instance of the Saddam Hussein statue, this was done following the ousting of an oppressive dictator, by civilians who actually suffered under his regime, and with the help of US military forces. And even the man who is most credited for the toppling of the statue has openly stated that he regrets what he did because of the chaos that came to the region after.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »

Of course conservatives would be outraged by the vigilante tearing down of a statue that no one on the school wants.
You speak for all of the students at UNC?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2018, 02:31:53 PM »

Nothing respectable about spoiled brats that think vandalism is okay.

Are you incapable of having a discussion without resorting to childish namecalling or baseless assertions about people's character? Every post you've made in this thread (and some in others, I've noticed) is needlessly vitriolic and personal...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »

Nothing respectable about spoiled brats that think vandalism is okay.

Are you incapable of having a discussion without resorting to childish namecalling or baseless assertions about people's character? Every post you've made in this thread (and some in others, I've noticed) are needlessly vitriolic and personal...
It says a lot about ones character when they join a crazed mobs impulsive behavior.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »

1. Silent Sam was a memorial to alumni who defended their state and lost their lives in the war. Per US Code, Confederate Soldiers are considered US Veterans, it's no different than a memorial dedicated to soldiers of any other war. It's not even remotely the same as a symbol of an evil dictator that ran an actual authoritarian government (hate to break it to you, crabcake, but the NC state legislature does not even remotely compare).

Yeah, no, it's actually a monument to white supremacy, and explicitly so. I suggest you study up on the early twentieth century and the proliferation of these statues. They even sprung up in Arizona.

And broadly condemning all forms of vandalism or law-breaking would toss out many events you probably cherish in American history. That's a childish posture.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2018, 03:33:45 PM »

Of course conservatives would be outraged by the vigilante tearing down of a statue that no one on the school wants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/us/unc-silent-sam-monument-toppled.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I mean, the faculty went all pearl clutchy after the toppling happened, but even they weren't exactly thrilled about the statue itself.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2018, 03:36:13 PM »

I mean, the faculty went all pearl clutchy after the toppling happened, but even they weren't exactly thrilled about the statue itself.
Ok. You've provided one quote from one participant. You're not very good at this.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2018, 03:39:23 PM »

Ok. You've provided one quote from one participant. You're not very good at this.

Read the rest of the article.(and if you're out of articles you can just use incognito)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2018, 03:40:47 PM »

Read the rest of the article.(and if you're out of articles you can just use incognito)
You keep referring to the opinions of people who were involved.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »

I opposed the war. The reason I opposed it was not due to support of Saddam Hussein.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2018, 03:47:44 PM »

And generally, its pretty clear that silent sam was quite unpopular.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »

A statue is unpopular with the people who physically tore it down. You keep making that point repeatedly. I'm talking about the students who were not physically present and asleep in their dorms - and thus not interviewed. Did you take them into account? Or are you just talking big again?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »

A statue is unpopular with the people who physically tore it down. You keep making that point repeatedly. I'm talking about the students who were not physically present and asleep in their dorms - and thus not interviewed. Did you take them into account? Or are you just talking big again?

I saw a news clip where a number of students were being quickly interviewed for their opinion, the day after if went down.
And they were all OK with it coming down and happy that it did (and they did not take part in the actual event).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies