Trevor Noah: Catholic Church is a "molesting club with an opening prayer" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:31:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Trevor Noah: Catholic Church is a "molesting club with an opening prayer" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trevor Noah: Catholic Church is a "molesting club with an opening prayer"  (Read 4115 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: August 18, 2018, 11:50:31 AM »

Yeah.

It is.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:34:43 PM »

But it is also true, that if you wanted to design an institution which would perpetuate and cover up for child abuse on an industrial scale, than you would have struggled to create a better fit than the Catholic Church of 40 or 50 years ago. You have the culture of clericalism that means that priests are borderline worshiped in their communities. You have a system of education for priests that takes them in seminarians at a very young age and teaches them that they are special. You have a bishop who controls the entire life of everyone who works under him, who can, if he chooses silence anyone who raises any doubts. You have an institution that is loved by millions and feared by most of the rest. You have access not just to altar boys but to schools and hospitals and clubs.

I think this is a key point. It was a perfect 'creation' for power systems to allow for abuse to fester. Same with institutions run by sisters. But these places don't exist any more in part due to changes in how children are treated in care, but also due to the state effectively taking over most of these types of institutions prior to reforming them or winding them down.

Also, as much as people like to assume priesthood was a 'calling', a half century ago in reality it wasn't. In many families it was an obligation (a priest in every family was pretty much the rule even in Scotland) or a place to essentially hide.

In terms of it 'not happening now', in Europe, America, Australia etc maybe; never assume. Certainly in the developing world the institutions, power structures, silence etc probably still exist in many case unchecked and unchallenged. That's no doubt where it may continue to happen.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 02:56:20 PM »

Nathan asked me to convey his take:

"I've thought extensively about the probable necessity of burying the American Church under an avalanche of shame and repudiation so that it can start again from a mustard seed and finally heal, but I'm so emotionally distraught that the best representation of my feelings is probably just, in these words, "reading the entire Book of Hosea at 3 am while crying and listening to Leonard Cohen WE OUT HERE"."

I've also shared Bore's post with him and he thinks, as I do, that it's an excellent take. I don't have much to add to the conversation myself beyond what he said.

Why doesn't he just start posting again himself?

Because he doesn't want to get sucked back into the forum discourse. Tbh, the better question is "why does anyone still post here?" (in my case, it's mostly to get decently analyzed election news coverage - as bad as the forum is, the MSM is usually far worse at that).

He's still got about five questions of mine to answer Wink

In all seriousness, hope he's doing well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies