Trevor Noah: Catholic Church is a "molesting club with an opening prayer" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:20:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Trevor Noah: Catholic Church is a "molesting club with an opening prayer" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trevor Noah: Catholic Church is a "molesting club with an opening prayer"  (Read 4107 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: August 20, 2018, 12:01:53 PM »

I don't think this is necessarily endemic to being a Catholic in some platonic sense, but it's certainly the case that institutions with proximity to vulnerable populations will attract predators. The more powerful those institutions, the more leeway they're granted to act with impunity. That's what we see with college sports, or like with ICE agents raping women in their custody.

The difference here, and I think dead0man alluded to it above, is that the Catholic Church is global. Michigan State had means and motivation to cover up Larry Nasser's crimes and turn the other way, but they didn't have the means to reassign him to Ohio State. Priests also have a certain level of anonymity. They're not rockstars, so when they disappear nobody really notices, or follows where they go.

I don't think catholicism is intrinsically linked with child abuse, but the hierarchical superstructure of the Catholic Church makes this kind of abuse inevitable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies