May 24 Washington state prediction thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:20:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  May 24 Washington state prediction thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: May 24 Washington state prediction thread  (Read 1557 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 11:08:33 PM »

The real question: Will Bernie do better or worse than in Oregon? WA is not fully closed and is also more favorable turf than OR, but on the flip side nobody cares about it which will disproportionately impact young people, his best demographic.

Bernie- 54.7
Hillary- 45.3

Trump- 64
Kasich-19
Cruz- 17

I expect Bernie to perform worse in Oregon than Washington in the beauty contest.

1.) Metro Seattle is less favorable than Portland, which has a much larger blue-collar and working-class component, and significantly lower household incomes. I would not be surprised to see Hillary win Snohomish and possibly Pierce County as well.
2.) Much of rural and small-town Western and Eastern Washington should track closer to Oregon Primary results, although some doubts about Bernie margins in Clark and Spokane counties.
3.) Looking at Oregon primary votes there was a significant percentage of ballots in heavily Bernie counties, particularly with a large number of young voters, where there were no votes recorded for down-ballot candidates. I expect there to be some Bernie voters that don't bother doing the beauty contest figuring that he already won the lion's share of statewide delegates.
4.) It is true that Washington now having "vote by mail" for the primary and also a looser party affiliation method means that this might counterbalance the effect of potential Hillary upsets in several of the larger non-Seattle metro counties, but I don't see King county voting for Bernie at higher margins than Multnomah and quite frankly expect to see numbers 2-3% lower.

So yeah, agree WA not being fully closed helps some, but disagree that the demographics are more favorable.

Good points.
sportydude

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 11:15:48 PM »

On the Democrat side I'll go out on a limb and say:

Hillary: 51%
Bernie: 49%

There is no reason to expect a Clinton victory here.

Really? Clinton performed in all closed primaries distinctly better than in 2008. Even in Oregon!
Furthermore, a "fake primary" doesn't attract many Bernie Bros., as you could see in Nebraska, where she won the closed fake primary distinctly.
I wouldn't bet any money, but I wouldn't be surprised either (after Nebraska) if Clinton really wins the Washington fake primary.

I'm now going to accept my accolades!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 11:18:27 PM »

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ACCOLADES
sportydude

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 11:20:30 PM »