Will Nancy Pelosi torpedo House Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:13:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Nancy Pelosi torpedo House Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Nancy Pelosi torpedo House Democrats?  (Read 3897 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »

There is a growing demand across sane America to increase drilling for petroleum in this country, building new (more efficent refineries), and adding more nuclear power plants.

Comrade Speaker Nancy Pelosi is adamant that she won't alllow votes on such proposals.

Already Democrat Congresspeople from competitive districts are hearing an earful from their constituents.

Expect Pelosi to back off her stupid, and malovelent hairshirt approach on energy, or House Democrats will join Republicans in running over her.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 06:13:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »

What about nuclear power plants?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:07:57 PM »

Pelosi is not going to have a choice here.  She is going to have to allow drilling.  Im sure that she will, she usually gives in on issues like this. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:22:55 PM »

Similar situation. They cost between $4-8 billion to construct. That's a LONG time till profitability, and by about the time that time comes, they'll likely be in the process of being phased out by alternative energy sources.

Besides, why do we need them anyway? We still have plenty of cheap electricity.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:28:14 PM »

Similar situation. They cost between $4-8 billion to construct. That's a LONG time till profitability, and by about the time that time comes, they'll likely be in the process of being phased out by alternative energy sources.

Umm last time I check my electricity rate has been steadily increasing over the past three years.  Not at the same rate as gasoline but still a significant amount.  I'm hopeful that it will level off a bit though as wind and solar farms continue sprouting up.
Jacobtm

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2008, 11:47:47 PM by Jacobtm »

Of course, our "cheap electricity" is gradually becoming more and more expensive. As prosperity spreads throughout the world, demand for Coal is growing and growing, and we know what that does to price.

Until we get a national DC power grid, areas that aren't very windy or very sunny will need local power-plants to supply their energy.

Our current power grids uses AC currents, which quickly degrade as they travel over long distances, meaning that even if we max out our capacity for windmills and solar panels, unless we get a new energy grid, it won't matter to those who live in the north-east.

Furthermore, since Solar and Wind can't be turned on and off like nuclear and coal plants can, storing extra energy will require huge advances in battery technology that are not yet in sight.

So to provide energy for everyone, we'll need more than just wind and solar, though they'll obviously play a big part.

Our current "cheap electricity" comes from coal, which is currently everyone's "cheap electricity", meaning it'll do exactly what gasoline has done; become so ubiquitous that we start using it up at astronomical rates and its price skyrockets. Not to mention, it leads to tons of terrible pollution that isn't easy to deal with.

The missing piece to the energy puzzle then, is something that can produce energy at any time of the day, but that isn't going to just run out quickly. Since nuclear power plants run for so long on such small amounts of fissile material, they're exactly what is needed.

Nuclear has risks, but it's not as if the pollution from coal affects nothing. Ever heard of global warming? How about huge increases in all sorts of respiratory diseases? Heard about how Beijing's air might not be clean enough for marathon runners at the olympics? The detriments coal causes are just less obvious than those of nuclear.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 12:02:39 AM »

Umm last time I check my electricity rate has been steadily increasing over the past three years.  Not at the same rate as gasoline but still a significant amount.  I'm hopeful that it will level off a bit though as wind and solar farms continue sprouting up.

Don't hold your breath.

While I like solar power, its only viable in certain areas.

As to wind farms, very few places have sufficent reliable wind to support such a technology.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 12:15:24 AM »

Of course, our "cheap electricity" is gradually becoming more and more expensive. As prosperity spreads throughout the world, demand for Coal is growing and growing, and we know what that does to price.

Until we get a national DC power grid, areas that aren't very windy or very sunny will need local power-plants to supply their energy.

Our current power grids uses AC currents, which quickly degrade as they travel over long distances, meaning that even if we max out our capacity for windmills and solar panels, unless we get a new energy grid, it won't matter to those who live in the north-east.

Furthermore, since Solar and Wind can't be turned on and off like nuclear and coal plants can, storing extra energy will require huge advances in battery technology that are not yet in sight.

So to provide energy for everyone, we'll need more than just wind and solar, though they'll obviously play a big part.

Our current "cheap electricity" comes from coal, which is currently everyone's "cheap electricity", meaning it'll do exactly what gasoline has done; become so ubiquitous that we start using it up at astronomical rates and its price skyrockets. Not to mention, it leads to tons of terrible pollution that isn't easy to deal with.

The missing piece to the energy puzzle then, is something that can produce energy at any time of the day, but that isn't going to just run out quickly. Since nuclear power plants run for so long on such small amounts of fissile material, they're exactly what is needed.

Nuclear has risks, but it's not as if the pollution from coal affects nothing. Ever heard of global warming? How about huge increases in all sorts of respiratory diseases? Heard about how Beijing's air might not be clean enough for marathon runners at the olympics? The detriments coal causes are just less obvious than those of nuclear.

Thank you for the informative post, Jacobtm. Smiley I hadn't heard the benefits of nuclear power explained in such great detail before.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 01:03:43 AM »

My electric bill is around $18/month usually. Do you people use stadium lights or something?
Conan
conan

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 02:52:10 AM »

My electric bill is around $18/month usually. Do you people use stadium lights or something?
Most people's electricity bill is $100-150 per month.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »

to think what i could do with all that 130$ i'd save D:
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »

Do you have air conditioning in Minnesota? That's a good 50% of my electric bill.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »

Do you have air conditioning in Minnesota? That's a good 50% of my electric bill.

That might explain it. I don't have air conditioning & my electric bill is $40 per month.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »

Do you guys seriously think it NEVER gets hot in Minnesota or something? LOL!

But I personally just use fans since I have no reason to use air conditioning in a small studio apartment. I also hardly ever need to turn on the lights because of how my windows are set up. In fact if I was insane and went to work at 8AM and bed much earlier than I do I would probably NEVER need to turn on the lights.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 11:27:16 PM »

Don't hold your breath.

While I like solar power, its only viable in certain areas.

As to wind farms, very few places have sufficent reliable wind to support such a technology.

Solar probably isn't too viable in Ohio but there are some major wind farm proposals in the works that look promising.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 12:56:29 PM »

Here if you live in Smithfield, NC power ranges from $300 in the Winter to $450 in the summer. In Selma, NC its even worse. On month the bill was $187 the next it was $650 a month with no change in electric use. So we moved out of town where you can get the Electricity directly from Progress Energy Co. without the town as middle man. The bill runs from $175 to $250 a month. With one $300 month that was an outlier. In Raliegh NC that had a guy with a $1500 a month bill. These cities buy the electricity and jack up the price. We need to end these Town electric companies and allow us to buy it direct.

Progress Enegry will be raising there rates because the need another plant. Sharon Harris Nuclear Plant used to cover most of Central NC with ease no it is struggling cause of an increase in population. Progress Energy tried to build a Coal plant to help it but the environmentalist shot it down. Thanks Al Gore!     
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »

Here if you live in Smithfield, NC power ranges from $300 in the Winter to $450 in the summer. In Selma, NC its even worse. On month the bill was $187 the next it was $650 a month with no change in electric use. So we moved out of town where you can get the Electricity directly from Progress Energy Co. without the town as middle man. The bill runs from $175 to $250 a month. With one $300 month that was an outlier. In Raliegh NC that had a guy with a $1500 a month bill. These cities buy the electricity and jack up the price. We need to end these Town electric companies and allow us to buy it direct.

Progress Enegry will be raising there rates because the need another plant. Sharon Harris Nuclear Plant used to cover most of Central NC with ease no it is struggling cause of an increase in population. Progress Energy tried to build a Coal plant to help it but the environmentalist shot it down. Thanks Al Gore!     

Shocked

Wait. The power company doesn't own the grid in NC?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 06:42:22 PM »

Shocked

Your right I am not sure who tried to build it but it was still torpedoed by Enviros
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »

Shocked

Your right I am not sure who tried to build it but it was still torpedoed by Enviros

The bolded part seems funny to me. I live in San Francisco & nobody cares that PG&E owns the power grid. Yet environmentalists in NC are obstructing the construction of a private power grid there. Just seems kind of funny. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »

Shocked

The bolded part seems funny to me. I live in San Francisco & nobody cares that PG&E owns the power grid. Yet environmentalists in NC are obstructing the construction of a private power grid there. Just seems kind of funny. Smiley

Very weird.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »

Shocked

Very weird.

Maybe what I said was too simplistic. Whover owns the grid here trid to build a Coal plant to take some of the load of the Nuclear Plant but they were denied the permit to build from the state or whoever they had to get it from largely because of opposition from Environmentalists.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 05:04:12 PM »

No. The Gang of 10 bailed her out on this issue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies