Determining regulations of Constitutional Convention. (FINAL VOTE)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:35:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Determining regulations of Constitutional Convention. (FINAL VOTE)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Determining regulations of Constitutional Convention. (FINAL VOTE)  (Read 7700 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2015, 04:51:00 AM »

I would like to see a list of reasons why the Senate should be completely excluded from the selection of any delegates, beyond just vague criticisms about it being the worst ever.
Me too.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »

Keine wahlen!
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2015, 09:45:33 PM »

I understand Evergreen's position, but we're including the Senate in the selection of delegates in order to ensure representation to sectors that may not be elected, but whose input will be very important.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2015, 04:19:57 AM »

I understand Evergreen's position, but we're including the Senate in the selection of delegates in order to ensure representation to sectors that may not be elected, but whose input will be very important.

This is basically my position exactly.

I think that we need to ensure that no one slips through the cracks, and if we only have one form of selection (e.g. only appointment or only voting) this has a higher chance of happening than if we have a variety of methods.

The key is balance--ideological balance, regional balance, and method-of-selection balance. Since the number of active people who would want to do this probably isn't much greater than 25, it shouldn't be too hard to find people.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2015, 12:43:45 PM »

This is basically my position exactly.

I think that we need to ensure that no one slips through the cracks, and if we only have one form of selection (e.g. only appointment or only voting) this has a higher chance of happening than if we have a variety of methods.

The key is balance--ideological balance, regional balance, and method-of-selection balance. Since the number of active people who would want to do this probably isn't much greater than 25, it shouldn't be too hard to find people.

I would suggest that the Senate is a different subculture from the rest of Atlasia, and it should have its interests represented in the convention for that very reason. This is a very important step, and we should try to represent as many different interests as possible.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »

I would like to see a list of reasons why the Senate should be completely excluded from the selection of any delegates, beyond just vague criticisms about it being the worst ever.

The selection of delegates to the Constitutional Convention has always been the unique provenance of the people, as reflected through region-based elections.  The idea that delegates should be selected based on the whims of the elites is a new development.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2015, 04:21:43 AM »

The selection of delegates to the Constitutional Convention has always been the unique provenance of the people, as reflected through region-based elections.  The idea that delegates should be selected based on the whims of the elites is a new development.

Who ever said whims? One could just as easily discredit popular vote by saying "whims of the people."

The "elites" consist of some of the most active Atlasians, who best understand the issues and know who will do best in the ConCon. Having delegates selected by popular vote is obviously a good idea too, and I'd be against any plan that didn't have that (earlier in this thread I defended the concept of electing delegates when Simfan said it would take too long) but I think Senatorial appointments are important, too, and it's unfair to characterize it as "whims of the elites."

Now, if they go and make stupid picks, I'll be harmonizing with you on the "whim" chorus; but that seems like a rash assessment as of now.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »

I motion for a final vote on this bill.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2015, 04:52:35 PM »

Exclusion of the Senators from participating in the convention is a horrible idea for two major reasons: first, we are currently the only active federal institution that works regularly, despite all the problems. Thus, we can bring both experience and activity. We already have a legitimacy, being vested by the people of Atlasia with their trust as they elected us to this body.

Second, an idea of excluding anybody from having a say in the process, in this case Senators, is plain wrong.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2015, 04:53:48 PM »

And I second your motion.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »

Who ever said whims? One could just as easily discredit popular vote by saying "whims of the people."

The "elites" consist of some of the most active Atlasians, who best understand the issues and know who will do best in the ConCon. Having delegates selected by popular vote is obviously a good idea too, and I'd be against any plan that didn't have that (earlier in this thread I defended the concept of electing delegates when Simfan said it would take too long) but I think Senatorial appointments are important, too, and it's unfair to characterize it as "whims of the elites."

Now, if they go and make stupid picks, I'll be harmonizing with you on the "whim" chorus; but that seems like a rash assessment as of now.

I agree with this, for reasons I explained above. A vision of Atlasia that excludes the opinions of Senators will be one that is unrepresentative of a large segment of its current userbase and alienate many long-time players.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »

People from the left wing will get a better chance of participating of the ConCon with this system, if we compare with full popular vote.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2015, 11:33:21 AM »

This has already lasted three weeks. We are setting ourselves up to fail.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »

Thirded.
If there will not be objections, I'll open a final vote when the 24 hours period expires.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »

A final vote is now open.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »

AYE!

Let's get this show on the road.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »

AYE!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2015, 06:12:28 PM »

Aye
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2015, 05:50:39 AM »

Aye
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2015, 05:58:20 AM »

It's Happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Viva la Atlasia! Viva la Constitution!
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2015, 07:58:45 AM »

This has already lasted three weeks. We are setting ourselves up to fail.

Holy crap, you're putting speed as the end-all-be-all; can't we try to get this right?!?

This is the same nonsensical attitude that led to the Mock Parliament having the lamest name ever. South America? A 5-year-old could think that up, but at least they would be smart enough to realize it sounds stupid. Not to mention the fact that no other ideas for a location were even allowed to be considered, because they had already made up their mind on that idea. Taking time to make sure we get it right? Not in our "Parliment!"

Rushing through things like you would have us do causes nothing but crappy results, which makes NOTHING better. If we have a ConCon in world record time, it will be utter garbage and do nothing to improve Atlasia.

We're setting ourselves up to fail if we rush through it, and we're also setting ourselves up to fail if we respond to everything that doesn't go our way with this kind of pessimism.

We're getting a Constitutional Convention, people. Be glad about that. Be optimistic that it will go well. Or at least naysay a little quieter.

(Sorry if that sounded a bit crabby. I just think that both the attitude of pessimism and the attitude of rushing through everything need to be nipped in the bud or this Convention will be less productive than the last one.)
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »

AYE! AYE! AYE!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2015, 10:14:43 AM »

A resounding AYE!
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »

This bill has enough votes to pass.
Senators have 24 hours to change/add their votes.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2015, 05:09:38 PM »

Aye, for the love of god, let's do this now!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies