BBC- Prepare for 2007 Snap Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:58:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BBC- Prepare for 2007 Snap Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BBC- Prepare for 2007 Snap Election  (Read 4219 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« on: December 25, 2006, 03:17:22 PM »

No, that's not what the article says. Learn to read please.

What the article says is that the LibDems think there might be an election as soon as October next year, and that the Tories want (or want to be seen to want) an early election after Brown becomes P.M.

In otherwords, meaningless fluff (btw, the LibDems always dread being caught off-guard by snap elections. From them, this is more paranoia than fluff).

Of more interest is the slightly older article which indicates that a snap election might be held in 2008.

TN2024 didn't understand the article because he thinks he's British but he's not. I on the other hand like British politics, but realize I know next to nothing about parliamentary procedure.

As much as I like Labour  I have to say that in 2008-09, I want David Cameron to win. The longer Labour stays in power, the bigger the backlash against them will be when they eventually lose (see 1997 election). Thats my cynical reason, but I also like Cameron as a politician and think he's doing a good job of dragging the Tories into the 21st Century.

(I don't deal with the Lib Dems only because as an American I have an aversion to 3rd Parties, maybe I'd like the Lib Dems, who knows?)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:41:31 PM »

And to you Pim, I make no claim to be British, I find I like America just fine, but having a British father who doesn't care about where he was born (damn stupid generation) and grandparents who reinforce it however they can, I find myself to be in an interesting situation, I find British politics to be far far more interesting then the bullsh!t here, and do all I can to learn about it.

Oh you have a British father, well that explains it. Sorry for being sarcastic Sad

I'm reading a book about Britain in World War II right now. Lord Halifax sounds like a traitor, he wanted Germany to win. The book says the Conservatives had a huge majority in 1935. If I recall they also had a huge victory in 1931.

Why did they do so well during the Great Depression? You'd think that with people suffering they'd vote for a left wing party. What was wrong with Labour? The only thing I can think of is that Russian Letter (Zinoviev) that implied that Labour listened to the Soviet Union. But there must be other reasons.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 11:31:34 PM »

Halifax didn't WANT Germany to win, he just assumed they would and wanted to get out of it cheaply.

I consider his actions traitorous.

Labour had the most seats in the 1929 election - but it was a hung parliament and had to rely on the Liberals to get anything done.  It was Labour's inability to do anything about the depression which caused - a split in August 1931 - then Labour got the blame and got booted out in pretty spectacular fashion. Labor managed to pick up 102 seats in the next election and still languished until 1945.

Thanks for the info. So Britain had the opposite party situation compared to America. Here the Republicans were in power in 1929, and they got blamed and suffered a huge defeat. There, Labour and the Liberals were in power, but got blamed for the depression and lost to the conservatives.

Halifax=HP
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies