Olive Garden takes triumphant stance against Wall Street (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:24:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Olive Garden takes triumphant stance against Wall Street (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Olive Garden takes triumphant stance against Wall Street  (Read 2597 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: September 16, 2014, 08:53:12 PM »

Maybe it's because I haven't been there in a while, but I don't understand why the place is so hated. It's not lowest common denominator food like McDonalds and it is a sit-down rather than fast food even though people treat it like it is one.

Personally, I don't understand these chain restaurants.  Olive Garden is more expensive than my local authentic Italian place that uses locally sourced ingredients.  My understand is that Olive Garden is pretty mediocre, bland food.  If you like really like bread, just buy some bread.  Why do you want to buy $22 entree so have the privilege of wolfing down 40 cents worth of bread?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »

Maybe it's because I haven't been there in a while, but I don't understand why the place is so hated. It's not lowest common denominator food like McDonalds and it is a sit-down rather than fast food even though people treat it like it is one.

Personally, I don't understand these chain restaurants.  Olive Garden is more expensive than my local authentic Italian place that uses locally sourced ingredients.  My understand is that Olive Garden is pretty mediocre, bland food.  If you like really like bread, just buy some bread.  Why do you want to buy $22 entree so have the privilege of wolfing down 40 cents worth of bread?

Most Americans don't live in hip places that have locally-sourced authentic Italian restaurants. Olive Garden is usually the only choice.

I take issue with this. If a town is big enough to have an Olive Garden I guarantee that it has at least four or five Italian restaurants that are more authentic and serve better food at lower prices than Olive Garden. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been to a small town that had an Olive Garden, I can only recall them being in larger towns (50 - 60k +). In my town (80k or so) we have 7 or 8 great Italian places actually run by Italians, and I'm in the South...

I think that Olive Garden, like Applebee's/Red Lobster/Chili's/PF Changs etc serves mainly travelers and large groups. The food is bland and consistent enough that nearly everyone can eat there. It's safe and serves a purpose. I definitely wouldn't go to the one in my town with friends or wife however, it would be a waste when I know there are better places.

I'd probably steer clear of a restaurant that advertised its ingredients as "locally-sourced", because I feel like I'd be more likely to see wheat-grass ravioli and tofu parmesan on the menu than something I'd want to eat (let alone pay for).

I don't think you know what locally sourced means. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »

Personally, I don't understand these chain restaurants.  Olive Garden is more expensive than my local authentic Italian place that uses locally sourced ingredients.  My understand is that Olive Garden is pretty mediocre, bland food.  If you like really like bread, just buy some bread.  Why do you want to buy $22 entree so have the privilege of wolfing down 40 cents worth of bread?

Most Americans don't live in hip places that have locally-sourced authentic Italian restaurants. Olive Garden is usually the only choice.

I take issue with this. If a town is big enough to have an Olive Garden I guarantee that it has at least four or five Italian restaurants that are more authentic and serve better food at lower prices than Olive Garden. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been to a small town that had an Olive Garden, I can only recall them being in larger towns (50 - 60k +). In my town (80k or so) we have 7 or 8 great Italian places actually run by Italians, and I'm in the South...

I think that Olive Garden, like Applebee's/Red Lobster/Chili's/PF Changs etc serves mainly travelers and large groups. The food is bland and consistent enough that nearly everyone can eat there. It's safe and serves a purpose. I definitely wouldn't go to the one in my town with friends or wife however, it would be a waste when I know there are better places.

I'd probably steer clear of a restaurant that advertised its ingredients as "locally-sourced", because I feel like I'd be more likely to see wheat-grass ravioli and tofu parmesan on the menu than something I'd want to eat (let alone pay for).

I don't think you know what locally sourced means.  

I'm aware of what it means and I'm aware of the sort of restaurants that use that specific phrase in their branding. Places who advertise as such are almost always some sort of fusion cuisine, rarely authentic.

I've found it to mean that a restaurant cares about their ingredients and creates relationships with local farmers and ranchers so they can get awesome tasting products.  It makes a difference to have  fresh ingredients versus whatever junk you can buy at Costco.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies