Opinion of J.K. Rowling (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:26:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of J.K. Rowling (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of J.K. Rowling?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Opinion of J.K. Rowling  (Read 5820 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« on: September 16, 2020, 06:54:05 PM »

HP.
She basically glamorized a society built on elf slavery.
A book about not discriminating over blood seems to be strangely okay with the backwards society that is the Wizarding World. A happy ending would have had the Muggles absolutely slaughtering all the wizards with the power of technology.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 07:20:31 PM »

[quote author=Ferguson97 link=topic=394529.msg7581814#msg7581814 date=1600300773
All that's really being asked to simply acknowledge the massive advantage that you have for factors mostly out of your control, and to what you can to help lift others up and reduce this privilege gap.

Is that really so hard?

Thing is, I don't really see it. What can I do to help others, you mean, aside from hanging my head in shame, humbling myself and giving a portion of MY income - not some ancestor's wealth - MY earned income because of some dead slaver? Why should I do that? Why is MY problem?

I mean especially when you take into account that for me personally, I can proudly say that I have not a single slaver in my family tree. On all sides. Thoroughly researched. I'm Italian and I'm Irish. My Irish side on one side came over in the 1840s and fought on the side of the Union in the Civil War. Didn't own slaves, didn't later have a servent. The other Irish side came over in the 1920s. The Italians came over in the 1902 and 1906 respectively on both sides.

Not a single slaver, nor a single proponent of Jim Crow in my direct family line.

As far as familial wealth...There is none. My people were pretty poor planners. My great grandfather by his death amassed three houses and other property. His children squandered their inheritance and sold it piecemeal, the last piece being sold off 18 years before my birth. My grandfather sold the home he was raised in 1998 for $300,000. It's now worth $1.4 million.

So...no inherite wealth that came off the back of an African American or Native Indian either. You could say I sit on stolen land - that's true. All American land technically is stolen. Should I give it back? What can I do about that? It's a sad fact that the Natives were treated the way they were.

I'd sooner donate to a Native charity or cause than I would a Black charity, and I'll explain why. Directly - in a straight line - The suffering of some Native is the reason I am sitting in the home I am renting. Maybe 200 years ago, maybe 400. Maybe it was some Dutch trader, or an English settler, but someone took this piece of land probably from some Native whose family had it. So, in that sense, I directly benefit from injustice by virtue of where I am sitting. I would gladly as such pay for any reparation package for the Natives. But no one ever talks about that.

Insofar as the great suffering and mistreatment of Black Americans, though, there is no direct link between that misery and myself. Yet you call me to account for it. You call it victimhood, but you're calling me to account for things as you said are "factors out of my control." The main factor is having been born with white skin and a penis, and having been baptized against my will as an infant. Nothing beyond that. Why should I pay for those things?

[/quote]
You are the master of making yourself look worse. I think I am less sympathetic to your beliefs than before I read that rant.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »

[quote author=Ferguson97 link=topic=394529.msg7581814#msg7581814 date=1600300773
All that's really being asked to simply acknowledge the massive advantage that you have for factors mostly out of your control, and to what you can to help lift others up and reduce this privilege gap.

Is that really so hard?

Thing is, I don't really see it. What can I do to help others, you mean, aside from hanging my head in shame, humbling myself and giving a portion of MY income - not some ancestor's wealth - MY earned income because of some dead slaver? Why should I do that? Why is MY problem?

I mean especially when you take into account that for me personally, I can proudly say that I have not a single slaver in my family tree. On all sides. Thoroughly researched. I'm Italian and I'm Irish. My Irish side on one side came over in the 1840s and fought on the side of the Union in the Civil War. Didn't own slaves, didn't later have a servent. The other Irish side came over in the 1920s. The Italians came over in the 1902 and 1906 respectively on both sides.

Not a single slaver, nor a single proponent of Jim Crow in my direct family line.

As far as familial wealth...There is none. My people were pretty poor planners. My great grandfather by his death amassed three houses and other property. His children squandered their inheritance and sold it piecemeal, the last piece being sold off 18 years before my birth. My grandfather sold the home he was raised in 1998 for $300,000. It's now worth $1.4 million.

So...no inherite wealth that came off the back of an African American or Native Indian either. You could say I sit on stolen land - that's true. All American land technically is stolen. Should I give it back? What can I do about that? It's a sad fact that the Natives were treated the way they were.

I'd sooner donate to a Native charity or cause than I would a Black charity, and I'll explain why. Directly - in a straight line - The suffering of some Native is the reason I am sitting in the home I am renting. Maybe 200 years ago, maybe 400. Maybe it was some Dutch trader, or an English settler, but someone took this piece of land probably from some Native whose family had it. So, in that sense, I directly benefit from injustice by virtue of where I am sitting. I would gladly as such pay for any reparation package for the Natives. But no one ever talks about that.

Insofar as the great suffering and mistreatment of Black Americans, though, there is no direct link between that misery and myself. Yet you call me to account for it. You call it victimhood, but you're calling me to account for things as you said are "factors out of my control." The main factor is having been born with white skin and a penis, and having been baptized against my will as an infant. Nothing beyond that. Why should I pay for those things?

You are the master of making yourself look worse. I think I am less sympathetic to your beliefs than before I read that rant.

The plot twist is there was never point at which you were going to be sympathetic, nor am I asking you to be sympathetic either. I frankly don't care in the SLIGHTEST what someone like you thinks of me. Because it's clear we are worlds apart politically and in every sense of the word, metaphorically speaking. I don't need your sympathy, nor do I want it.

Actually, I think I've made my simple request quite clear: I am not a party to these issues, I am not guilty of these problems, so don't call me to account for them.

It's simple.
[/quote]
I’m pretty anti-cannabis, but you clearly could use some.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies