Long Term Viability of the Republican Party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:21:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Long Term Viability of the Republican Party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Long Term Viability of the Republican Party  (Read 3599 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: November 07, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »

The Republicans had a golden opportunity to win the presidency last night and blew it. This raises  questions about the long term viability of the Republican Party. The Republicans have a solid base of married White Protestants who are increasingly becoming less white, less married , and less Protestant.

The one piece of good news for the Republicans is that the Democrats coalition is very large and diverse. It is easy to see the Republicans stealing part of the Democratic coalition. I see two routes for the Republicans to follow.

1) The Conservative Party of Canada option: De-emphasize social conservatism, assume that Evangelicals will never vote for a Democratic party that is hostile to their religious views and focus on winning the votes of wealthier Hispanics and Asians.

2) The Christian Democratic Union option: Adopt a social market economy stance and combine compassionate conservatism with "tough on crime" stances and maintaining most of the social conservative platform (obviously this will be a bit different from social conservatism in Germany). Focus on winning over religious Catholic Hispanics.

Given how the Republicans got burned on social conservatism this year, I'd say option 1 is most likely.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »

First of all, GOPers have to keep their trunks up. The party is not over. While sad and bad, this was no electoral disaster, no huge tragedy. Both parties have faced much bigger crisis in their histories, and survived.

I realise that, but take a look at the exit polls and compare them to 2008. Single women, and Jews both swung Republican somewhat, while Hispanics swung slightly towards Obama. If the Republicans are stuck at 30% of one of the fastest growing voter groups in the country, they are in major trouble.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »

So, I'm skeptical that moderation will truly make the Republicans viable.. I mean, it may be a survival strategy, but I doubt it will put them on an equal footing in terms of winning office to the Democrats.

What do you suggest the Republicans do to maintain an equal footing?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies