Long Term Viability of the Republican Party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:03:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Long Term Viability of the Republican Party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Long Term Viability of the Republican Party  (Read 3598 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: November 07, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »

All I will say at this point is this: It's not Republican "packaging" that will give them much broader minority appeal. It is Republican policies. If Republicans want to gain minority votes and gain women votes they need to fundamentally change their approach to public policy. Redesigning your look is not a long term strategy to fix this problem. Fix the way you absorb information and substantively alter your policy approach.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:53:59 AM »

All I will say at this point is this: It's not Republican "packaging" that will give them much broader minority appeal. It is Republican policies. If Republicans want to gain minority votes and gain women votes they need to fundamentally change their approach to public policy. Redesigning your look is not a long term strategy to fix this problem. Fix the way you absorb information and substantively alter your policy approach.

It was packaging in IN and MO. It was campaign quality in VA, WI, ND and MT. It was campaign quality and packaging in the Presidential race. That gives you a Romney presidency and a Senate majority. Whatever you do, it matters short-term, medium-term, and long-term. Whatever policies you advocate for and principles you offer and continue to adhere to, if you can't sell it, no one will care how good what your offering is. Republicans need to listen more and ask more questions, rather than giving answers and assume people will automatically know those are the right ones.

We are never going to agree on what the "offered items" should be. We have fundamentally different views of what this country is and where it is heading. And somehow I am fairly certain that your vote will never be on the table. Tongue

The GOP will remain a conservative party. There will be a some policy changes because different times call for new ideas. For years I  have said that I would love to see them drop this FMA bullcrap and pursue Civil Unions, go back to humbler foreign policy, find a happy medium on regulation (a big mistake on Romney's part was calling for the repeal of Dodd-Frank and not offering an alternative that addressed the root problems, with far less negatives on the economy).

I have one small idea. How about starting with supporting your own ideas when they are brought up by your opposition? The DREAM Act was once supported by many Republicans. Obamacare was built on the back of conservative proposals from the 90s. The deficit commission went from being supported by a dozen or so Republican Senators and then when voted on, that number dropped to zero. The party once supported a robust guest worker program. Many Republicans used to support an energy bill that had bipartisan support. Olympia Snowe used to support an infrastructure credit bank, right up until the point that Obama proposed it. McCain and other Republicans were once gung-ho about reforming election financing. Sarah Palin used to support cap and trade!

You say my vote is certainly never up for grabs by the Republicans. You're right. But that doesn't mean I don't want two competent political parties. The conservative movement used to propose their own version of ideas to solve specific problems; now, they prevent discussion from happening in the first place or outright deny there are any problems to solve. For instance, on global warming, there's the Democratic approach, and then denial that it exists on the other side. I want our political system to have two parties that have a substantive vision, instead, our problem solving is cramped where one side is just refusing to participate.

And by the way, that's not a stylistic problem, that's a philosophical problem. The new philosophy en vogue on the Right is a firm belief that they shouldn't be governing. You belong to a party who's only actual proposal in the last couple of years has been vaginal probes. Everything else is all subtractive. Cutting union rights, cutting social programs, cutting taxes. The Republican Party doesn't propose actively doing anything about anything, not only because they're incompetent, but because the new phase of the Conservative movement has been about not actually wanting to do anything.

It's no wonder they've struggled to get elected; they're not out of ideas, they're opposed to having ideas. That, and simply accepting facts as facts, are the two crucial things that must change or our political system will be indefinitely broken. Nothing about that is informed by my ideology, it's just about wanting a functioning government. But wanting a functioning government itself is now a point of disagreement on the Right.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies