Revised Constitution by Demrepdan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:34:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Revised Constitution by Demrepdan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Revised Constitution by Demrepdan  (Read 5156 times)
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« on: March 19, 2004, 06:45:17 PM »
« edited: March 19, 2004, 06:46:07 PM by Emsworth »

I thank you for incorporating my work into yours. I have very few additional proposals, and these are quite minor. They all relate to grammar.

- Art. I.v.2 "Two-thirds vote is needed in the Senate in the instance of impeachment, amendment ratification, district redistribution, or to override the President’s veto." Gramatically, "A two-thirds vote..." might be more appropriate.
- Amdt. IV.iii "The Senate shall arrange the set up of the districts and with two-thirds vote, approve of the final version." More appropriate, in my humble opinion, might be: "The Senate shall arrange the set-up of the districts, and, with a two-thirds vote, approve the final version."

Also, I think that we need not have Amendments in the original; rather, these could be Articles on their own - but that's just my opinion. Otherwise, I think that the Constitution is a fine feat.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 06:50:06 PM »

Sorry to complain Dan, but I don't like the idea of national elections for the Senate.  I thought that it would be a inner-district election, not a totally national one.  A national election would slant EVERY seat to the party with the most memebrs nationally.
I don't recollect finding such a provision in the Constitution. It provides, "In order for a Senator to be elected, he or she must first declare they wish to be a Senator, and then they will be approved by members of the forum who live within that respective region or district by way of election."
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 07:12:23 PM »

Sorry to complain Dan, but I don't like the idea of national elections for the Senate.  I thought that it would be a inner-district election, not a totally national one.  A national election would slant EVERY seat to the party with the most memebrs nationally.
I don't recollect finding such a provision in the Constitution. It provides, "In order for a Senator to be elected, he or she must first declare they wish to be a Senator, and then they will be approved by members of the forum who live within that respective region or district by way of election."

He's referring to Article I, Section 2, Clause 3.

I put that in there in case there was a TIE within the region or district...I know it seems kinda weird...but I was trying to think "what if there IS a tie...then what do we do?" And that's the best I could come up with.

Please inform me if you have any suggestion on how to more properly approach a situation in which there is a conflict with votes resulting in no winner within a district or region...and I will comply with your request.
But what if the forum ties as well?
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 10:16:28 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2004, 10:17:43 PM by Emsworth »

I thought we were using my map Map E for the unchanging regions.
So did I, but it seems that such is not the case; I did not notice earlier. But the new proposal has ten states in each region - a seemingly sound basis, I think, for determining the permanent regions. They, furthermore, seem "natural." Only the state of Utah seems out of place, but that's a minor fault.

Meanwhile, I propose that we set a timetable for the progress of this constitution. After the weekend, we should commence a general debate on its ratification.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 04:45:55 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "hald-sentence", but sure.
Half-sentence, perhaps?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Perhaps because the other parties do not care too much for a constitution.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 08:06:25 AM »

And as far as I can see, adding MO to that SOuth Central region is the only easy remedy for it.
To retain the 10-state-per-region balance, put Missouri in the Southwest Region, and send Nebraska to the Midwest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies