John Sharp declares bid for Texan Seat (Update: So does White) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:46:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  John Sharp declares bid for Texan Seat (Update: So does White) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Sharp declares bid for Texan Seat (Update: So does White)  (Read 4414 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« on: December 09, 2008, 09:22:54 PM »

Will be interested in seeing Sam's analysis of why Sharp can't win. I'm guessing he'll say that he has a ceiling of 46-47 percent statewide.

Too bad we didn't have a joke candidate in the 2006 Gubernatorial race; that was our one (and maybe only for a while) chance to actually win something in Texas.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:50:18 PM »

Yay! Sharp is probably the only Democrat in Texas, besides Mayor Bill White, who can win the open seat.

Corrected.  Smiley

As to Nym's question, since this will be a special election, you can't make the types of assumptions that I think Nym wants me to make.  Wink  In fact, throw most of your assumptions out of the window.

Special elections for open Texas Senate seats are weird.  Usually, you get tons of candidates who split the vote a million ways and the top two who survive that mess get to the runoff.

My first concern for Sharp is getting past this jungle primary.  Especially if there's a Hispanic or Black in the mix.

Hey, I'd love to hear you say Sharp can win. Smiley Just trying to predict your predictions in advance, that's all.

I have to think Sharp would have trouble matching Obama's performance in the suburban areas, which would kill any chance he'd have of winning. Then of course there's the fact that Obama being in office hurts any Democrat in the rural parts of the state, even Sharp (just him less so than others).

But yeah, obviously special elections are weird. Turnout as always is critical. Obviously Sharp could win if the GOP comes up with a bad candidate (gotta think there's a deep bench in Texas though...just a matter of whether there's a divisive primary and all probably).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies