Any other Downton Abbey fans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:16:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Any other Downton Abbey fans?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Any other Downton Abbey fans?  (Read 4151 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »

The actor playing Matthew signaled that he was leaving the cast during the filming of the third season (as did the actress playing Sybil), so maybe they were forced to kill him off.

The people on the interwebs bitching about Matthew's death/killing are quite stupid. Given that the actor said he was leaving, what were they to do? Clone him? Find a guy who looks just like him and who was willing to join the cast? Somehow explain that shortly after his own son was born he ran off to some other country with an unknown woman? Be serious guys and stop bitching. I don't know when Sybil's actress announced she was leaving the cast, but my comment would hold for her as well if she announced during the filming.

Besides, Matthew was a nice guy but he was going to get boring as the modernizer/kind father and loyal husband/young heir. Sybil would probably have become kind of boring if she had survived. I'm excited with Tom Branson, the former Marxist Irish Republican, becoming the leading young male in the family. His whole transformation from fire-breating far-left radical to de-facto capitalist aristocrat has been quite amusing and having him as the leading young male in the family is an interesting twist.
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »

The people on the interwebs bitching about Matthew's death/killing are quite stupid.

Are they bitching about it?  I'd have been totally surprised if I hadn't read frodo's post.  Actually, I was still surprised because I had assumed that he was mocking us.  Then when I saw Matthew tooling along in his roadster I thought, sonofabitch, frodo was serious.  I guess I had not read that he wanted to leave the show.  I hadn't read anything about any of these actors.  To be honest, I'd not heard of any of them till this show, although I gather that many of them are quite popular in the UK.  Nevertheless, if the actor quits you have to write his character out.  Killing is a good way to do it, in my opinion, since it leaves no lingering doubts among the fans about any reappearance.  

I have to admit to bitching about killing off Sybil.  Especially the way they did it.  It would have been easy enough to let her rot in a Dublin prison, or get kidnapped by the IRA, or even just have her stay on in Dublin because maybe she was too far along in her pregnancy to travel.  In Matthew's case, you really don't have any convenient way to write him out, especially since they went to such great lengths to write him in.  I think killing him off was appropriate.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:42 PM »

Oh, my.  You're right about the bitching.  I've learned that the actor's name is Dan Stevens and he has generated quite a bit of animus from some fans.  A quick search turned up all sorts of blogs and rants and bitches about this show.  Here's a great quote from one:

"I felt so invested in Matthew but to a certain extent I hope Dan Stevens career crashes and burns for doing this to us I'm not bitter."

Okay, right.

here's another:

"Fellowes will have to bring back Matthew's character from some rare coma ( as rare as paraplegia/walking) if he has any hope of saving the series.  I'm even willing to suspend disbelief (yet again) and accept Matthew's return with a new actor. I dont care.  Have the car explode, scar the new actor's face a bit..."

and one more:

"To broadcast this outcome on a Christmas-day ... is a bad joke. There were months ahead while they knew about Dan Stevensī diminishing affection to join the cast and they chose the most preposterous "solution".  A shame."

Apparently some people do take their soap operas very seriously.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2013, 08:18:27 AM »

Good article on the Matthew death shazam:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/02/18/downton-abbey-why-last-night-s-season-finale-has-fans-seeing-red.html
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »

Does anyone know when Season 4 will hit our television sets?  I know it is being filmed as we speak. 

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »

I watched the first series after buying the DVDs...  but I really tried to watch the second series and despite really, really enjoying the first... I cannot get into the second.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »

new episode tonight at 9 EST on PBS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies