AMA Oregon Progressive/ NoVA Green (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 07:52:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AMA Oregon Progressive/ NoVA Green (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AMA Oregon Progressive/ NoVA Green  (Read 2495 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: May 03, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »

From what I gather you are just south of the area that will experience the total eclipse on Mon Aug 21. Will you be able to get into the path of totality or be just outside (IMO the difference is worth the effort)?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »

From what I gather you are just south of the area that will experience the total eclipse on Mon Aug 21. Will you be able to get into the path of totality or be just outside (IMO the difference is worth the effort)?

Giant laughs aloud.... not sure about "getting into the path of totality", but from what I'm hearing rooms on the Oregon Coast are already getting booked out....

Still, it's in our neck of the woods, and there is a 4,400 Ft Mtn only 25 minutes away that should provide a decent view, even if we don't do the whole "vacation" scene out of it....

So pray tell... what exactly is the path of totality? 

Based upon your map we're pretty darn close regardless, and I'm definitely glad that Oregon is getting a major boost of those seeking that path.... Do you have a link???

The path of totality is where the moon completely covers the sun from the point of view of an observer on the ground. It is only in that path that stars are visible as is the sun's corona - perhaps the most amazing sight in all of astronomy. Outside the path is a partial eclipse where the moon only blocks some of the sun's light. Even at 99% eclipsed, the tiny bit of the remaining sun is still 10,000 times brighter than the corona and that's enough light to block the corona as well as other stars.

Links with interactive google maps are at http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEgmap/2001-2100/SE2017Aug21Tgmap.html and http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies