Applying the cube root rule for state houses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:54:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Applying the cube root rule for state houses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Applying the cube root rule for state houses  (Read 1346 times)
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« on: October 08, 2020, 09:24:28 PM »
« edited: October 08, 2020, 11:21:50 PM by Stuart98 »

Here's Utah (with 148 districts, based on the 2019 population estimate)

42 districts voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, 106 voted for Donald Trump. DRA considers 21 of them to be competitive, with 14 of them Hillary districts and 7 of them Trump districts.

EDIT: Revised slightly to increase road connectivity within districts.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »

Here's Utah (with 148 districts, based on the 2019 population estimate)
42 districts voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, 106 voted for Donald Trump. DRA considers 21 of them to be competitive, with 14 of them Hillary districts and 7 of them Trump districts.

EDIT: Revised slightly to increase road connectivity within districts.

1. What's that blue speck outside of the Salt Lake County / Summit County continuum? Downtown Ogden I guess?

2. I had never realized how few people live in Southeastern Utah... I thought with this many districts creating a Navajo Nation-based Democratic one would be fairly easy.

3. How close did Evan McMullin come to win any district?
1. The four blue districts a ways North of SLC+Summit are downtown Ogdon, the one in the very top is downtown Logan.
2. San Juan County is fairly evenly split between Native Americans and white people and the white people vote at a higher rate (and vote very Republican); if not for the inclusion of most of Moab the district wouldn't even be light red. A couple years ago (I believe in 2018) the Navajo won a majority of the county council and the white people started talking about splitting the county in two, though nothing came of it.
3. Evan McMullen wins like five districts in the BYU area (including the slightly less red than normal one visible on the map), DRA doesn't display wins by non-major candidates.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies