Applying the cube root rule for state houses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:54:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Applying the cube root rule for state houses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Applying the cube root rule for state houses  (Read 1345 times)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: October 09, 2020, 11:05:02 AM »

Here's Utah (with 148 districts, based on the 2019 population estimate)
42 districts voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, 106 voted for Donald Trump. DRA considers 21 of them to be competitive, with 14 of them Hillary districts and 7 of them Trump districts.

EDIT: Revised slightly to increase road connectivity within districts.

1. What's that blue speck outside of the Salt Lake County / Summit County continuum? Downtown Ogden I guess?

2. I had never realized how few people live in Southeastern Utah... I thought with this many districts creating a Navajo Nation-based Democratic one would be fairly easy.

3. How close did Evan McMullin come to win any district?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »

This map has (with 2016 presidential numbers):

3 Safe Democratic districts (2 in downtown Fargo and 1 91% Native American district in Rolette County)
4 Competitive Clinton districts (All in Fargo and its suburbs)
7 competitive Trump districts (4 around Fargo, 2 in downtown Grand Forks and a 55% Native American district in Mountrail County)
74 Safe Republican districts (the rest)

Tipping point districts are district 71 and district 37.

District 71 was 70-30 Trump and is located in Minot
District 37 was 71-29 Trump and comprises the northern rural areas of Grand Forks county and takes in Nelson County as well.

ND was 70-30 Trump so almost no difference between the tipping point and the state at large.

What?? It was 63-27 lol

Is DRA randomly assigning all Johnson voters to Trump?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 01:27:20 PM »

This map has (with 2016 presidential numbers):

3 Safe Democratic districts (2 in downtown Fargo and 1 91% Native American district in Rolette County)
4 Competitive Clinton districts (All in Fargo and its suburbs)
7 competitive Trump districts (4 around Fargo, 2 in downtown Grand Forks and a 55% Native American district in Mountrail County)
74 Safe Republican districts (the rest)

Tipping point districts are district 71 and district 37.

District 71 was 70-30 Trump and is located in Minot
District 37 was 71-29 Trump and comprises the northern rural areas of Grand Forks county and takes in Nelson County as well.

ND was 70-30 Trump so almost no difference between the tipping point and the state at large.

What?? It was 63-27 lol

Is DRA randomly assigning all Johnson voters to Trump?
DRA seems to be using 2 party numbers for the spreadsheet it generates and that is what I was copying.

63+27=90

63/90= 0.7 = 70%

I guess it makes sense.

However I generally hate "two-party vote share", it feels fake.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 11:18:32 AM »

Okay, so here's Missouri with 182 districts.

And here's the partisanship map.

Really goes to show just how intense the urban-rural polarization is here. Granted, this is is using 2016 Presidential data, which is when the polarization was at the most intense it has ever been and hopefully the most intense it will ever be, but still.

The blue blob in the middle is a five-way split of Columbia, to try to at least slightlly balance out the extreme efficiency gap that the rural-urban polarization creates. (There's a district in St. Louis on this map that voted literally 98% D in 2016. It's really, really extreme). The lighter red bit in the southwest is a similar three-way split of Springfield (those areas are likely to trend heavily D and turn blue in the future). The same applies to a lot of suburban Kansas City and St. Louis.

The geographic polarization of Missouri is stunning.

I find especially fascinating (although it is not completely related) how you can almost perfectly see the boundaries of the current 1st congressional district in your map by taking all the dark blue districts in the St. Louis area.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies