Gays in the Military? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:30:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gays in the Military? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gays in the Military?  (Read 13816 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: December 04, 2007, 07:57:28 PM »

I think, however, there should be strong penalties if they are found guilty of making sexual advances while on active duty to members of the same sex.

Even if the other person is clearly consenting?

Yes, as well as same-sex couples.  I'm kinda in MAS's situation right now, although I haven't gone over to the other side - I'm undecided and debating in the middle.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:43:12 PM »

I think, however, there should be strong penalties if they are found guilty of making sexual advances while on active duty to members of the same sex.

Yes, as well as same-sex couples.  I'm kinda in MAS's situation right now, although I haven't gone over to the other side - I'm undecided and debating in the middle.
Where the hell did MAS post in the thread?

Damn you and your stupid Red NJ Avatar!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »

Where the hell did MAS post in the thread?

Damn you and your stupid Red NJ Avatar!
C'mon did you really think you'd be agreeing w/MAS instead of me Smiley

Well, I kinda found it odd that MAS wouldn't have been for gays in the military to begin w/.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:37:35 PM »

As much as I do not have an issue with homosexuality and I though concider it a private issue, if a Soldier came to me to told me he was gay I would still have to pursue UCMJ action because one, it is a UCMJ action and two (and the more critical point), for the Soldiers protection. 

I'm unfamiliar with your first reason, but as for the second; if the soldier were to tell you in confidence (hypothetically), then why would you need to ensure his protection from the homophobes by reporting him?  Can't you just keep a secret?

It's a tough position. However, I have to report it. That was my reason #1. As much as I disagree with it, I have to report him because homosexuality is in violation with the Uniform Code of Military Justice. I swore to obey the orders and I have to follow the regulations of the UCMJ wheather if I like it or not. Besides, you never know if he tells someone else. Granted if he told me, just like friends have told me when they came out of the closet, I be fine with it.

It's the same deal I have with pot. If you piss hot for pot, you will receive punishment for failing a drug test. As much as I'm personally in favor of legalizing pot, I have to prosecute it because it is against military policy.

I agree here - I'm still in the air about gays in the military, leaning toward allowing them, but you have to follow the rules here, or you yourself could get in trouble for NOT reporting it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies