Will The Hobbit end up "rotten"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:15:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Will The Hobbit end up "rotten"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" end up "rotten" (under 60%) on Rotten Tomatoes?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Will The Hobbit end up "rotten"?  (Read 10013 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 06, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »

What I would like to see is a film of The Children of Húrin.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »

Some of the stories that were published in Unfinished Tales may have been contemporaneous with The Hobbit, but they were so different tonally that reconciling them would be an impossible feat.

Technically, the movie can't draw upon Unfinished Tales.  Jackson only has rights to The Hobbit and LOTR, not the whole Tolkien corpus.  However, the details that are being added are found in the LOTR Appendices.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »

I doubt it, but like the Star Wars Prequels, it will never match the Original Trilogy.

I don't think this will suffer from the same problems those did.

Meesa is hoping yousa is right.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »

My dad just told me they're doing a trilogy with this?Huh I thought it was only 2 parts.  How on earth are they turning this into a 9-hour trilogy?  Yikes.

It was two parts.  As I understand it, the added third part will mainly cover material from the LOTR (mainly in the Appendices) as to what was going on elsewhere at the same time and what happened between Bilbo returning from his journey and Frodo leaving for his journey.  So the third Hobbit film will actually be more of a zeroth LOTR film.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »

The distortion of Faramir's character is indeed disturbing, which is why it is one of my main grievances against Peter Jackson -that, and the army of the dead being loosed upon the Fields of Pelennor when they only took the Corsairs' ships outside Pelargir in the book. 

Having the army of the dead come to Pelennor makes sense for a movie tho.  First off all, it simplifies some of the plot, but more importantly it provides a visual explanation why the army of Mordor is routed there as opposed to the cerebral explanation of their leader is dead so the orcs and such go all goofy.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:14:23 AM »

There's quite a disconnect going on between the critics and the audience in their perception of the movie.

65% of critics rated 'The Hobbit' highly, while around 80% of moviegoers liked it.  

A fair number of the moviegoers are likely fanboys who already know what the story is about, perhaps even in more detail than Jackson slathered onto the screen.  Thus they will be judging it on how well it brings the book to life for them.  Whereas even if they know and like the book, many critics are judging it as a standalone movie in its own right.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies