Southeast: Monthly Initiative Amendment II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:28:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southeast: Monthly Initiative Amendment II
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southeast: Monthly Initiative Amendment II  (Read 440 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:31:07 PM »

Currently, the Southeaster constitution reads:

"Article II: Initative and Recall
1. The Citizens of the Southeastern Region shall have the right to petition their government to gain access to the ballot for any issue. Such a petition shall have at least three signatures of registered Southeastern voters in order to be added to the ballot at the next Initiative election. Initiative elections should be held on the third weekend of each month beginning within 12 hours after midnight Central time on Friday morning and ending at 11:59pm Central time on the following Sunday night. Initiatives that receive a tie vote shall be voted upon again in the next Initiative election without the need to be reproposed."

I propose it be amended to read:

"Article II: Initative and Recall
1. The Citizens of the Southeastern Region shall have the right to petition their government to gain access to the ballot for any issue. Such a petition shall have at least three signatures of registered Southeastern voters five days prior to the next Initiative election in order to be added to the ballot at the next Initiative election. Initiatives attaining three valid signatures during the five day period before the Initiative election shall be added to the ballot for the next month's Initiative election. Initiative elections should be held on the third weekend of each month beginning within 12 hours after midnight Central time on Friday morning and ending at 11:59pm Central time on the following Sunday night. Initiatives that receive a tie vote shall be voted upon again in the next Initiative election without the need to be reproposed."

The reason I think this is necessary is because the Abortion Pill Initiative was put on the ballot without even being a day old - the voters did not have enough time to debate and inform themselves in regards to this issue.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:32:44 PM »

I don't think it should be one there simply because it didn't have the signatures by when the election should have started.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 05:36:51 PM »

I don't think it should be one there simply because it didn't have the signatures by when the election should have started.

Indeed, that is true, but if it had been proposed and signed yesterday I still don't think it would have been sufficient time for debate and voters informing themselves.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 05:38:30 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2005, 05:41:26 PM by Senator Sam Spade »

I understood that when I put it on the ballot. 

However, in reading the regulation that Dibble wishes to amend, I saw no reason to why it shouldn't be on the ballot, considering it had three signatures before I posted the ballot.

If Ebowed',s initiative doesn't pass because of lack of revision, he should revise it and put it on the next ballot.

I am only doing the job I am not elected to do.  Smiley

Nonetheless, I agree with Dibble's initiative and will sign:

X Sam Spade
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 08:22:49 PM »

LOL, no problem.  I assume it will fail and hopefully be passed in May without difficulty.

X Jake
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 08:55:49 PM »

X Cosmo Kramer
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »

Other than that I would prefer one week or four days to five days I have no objections.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies