John Shelby Spong dies aged 90
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 12:38:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  John Shelby Spong dies aged 90
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: John Shelby Spong dies aged 90  (Read 1749 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2021, 11:35:19 PM »

Uh, do you seriously not understand how Hegel's dialectic between the lordship and the bondsman both completes the system of German Idealism and functions as an inherently conservative argument for both mutual societal recognition between unequal parties and the inexorable progress of history? One would almost think you're still reading Fichte!

Some readings for you to familiarize yourself with:

The Phenomenology of Spirit
Elements of the Philosophy of Right
John Hart Ely: Democracy and Distrust
Frederick Schauer: Formalism
Nietzsche: Ecce Homo
Gustave Le Bon: The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind
Spinoza: Tractatus Theologico-Politicus
Alexander Gerschenkron: Continuity in History
Mark Granovetter: The Impact of Social Structure on Economic Outcomes
Vine Deloria: Laws and Treaties
Travis W. Anderson: Philology & Meaning
Alan Watts: The Nature of God
Any one who still believes in the Hegelian dialectic is rejecting both the coherence theory of truth and an internalist epistemology, which I think are far more defensible than their alternatives. These are defended by H. H. Joachim in The Nature of Truth and Timothy McGrew in Internalism and Epistemology: The Architecture of Reason.

I think that MacIntyre also mounts a largely successful attack on Spinoza’s Enlightenment presuppositions in Whose Justice? Which Rationality?.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2021, 08:57:13 PM »

Uh, do you seriously not understand how Hegel's dialectic between the lordship and the bondsman both completes the system of German Idealism and functions as an inherently conservative argument for both mutual societal recognition between unequal parties and the inexorable progress of history? One would almost think you're still reading Fichte!

Some readings for you to familiarize yourself with:

The Phenomenology of Spirit
Elements of the Philosophy of Right
John Hart Ely: Democracy and Distrust
Frederick Schauer: Formalism
Nietzsche: Ecce Homo
Gustave Le Bon: The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind
Spinoza: Tractatus Theologico-Politicus
Alexander Gerschenkron: Continuity in History
Mark Granovetter: The Impact of Social Structure on Economic Outcomes
Vine Deloria: Laws and Treaties
Travis W. Anderson: Philology & Meaning
Alan Watts: The Nature of God

Any one who still believes in the Hegelian dialectic is rejecting both the coherence theory of truth and an internalist epistemology, which I think are far more defensible than their alternatives. These are defended by H. H. Joachim in The Nature of Truth and Timothy McGrew in Internalism and Epistemology: The Architecture of Reason.

I think that MacIntyre also mounts a largely successful attack on Spinoza’s Enlightenment presuppositions in Whose Justice? Which Rationality?.

Not if you incorporate DB Walker's theory of the unsubstantiated being into your metaphysical framework. Though admittedly, neither he nor other preeminent thinkers in the field such as Ansel Avery have succeeded in unifying spatialism with contemporaneous notions of "The Good." The monist/duleist debate may rage on, but I'm sure we can all agree that Bernard Sebastian was correct in Treatise on Mind and Body when he operated off of the simple premise that such intrinsically submaterialistic problems are not worth discussing until we have reached a sufficient level of technological advancement to directly observe the wave functions of photons. Garbermille, Hawkes, and Trenton Lane implicitly endorsed this supposition, for the record.

More readings for you:

Conn Isidore: Presence of Mind
WH Perkins' Notes on Artificial Intelligence
Theodore Randolph Owens: Transcendentalism, Being, and Christ
Sean Templepest: Excretions from my Lower Intestine
Constance Doolittle: Dolphins: Fun-Loving Scamps of the Sea
Reverend Percival Laidlaw: Five Things I Know I Can Fit Up My Ass
Arthur Feld: Critique of Pure Thinking
Jakub Kominski: Szczęście Pszczyna Następstw (this has not been translated yet, so start boning up on your Polish)
Raimunda Perez: Love in the Time of Severe Rectal Bleeding
Marjorie Taylor Greene: Collected Tweets
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies