What's your/your family military background? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:48:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your/your family military background? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's your/your family military background?  (Read 2596 times)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« on: June 03, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »

My great grandfather was on the Bataan Death March in the Philippines while in the Army during WWII. Both of my grandfathers were in the military, one in the Air Force during the early 60s and the other in the Navy during Vietnam. My uncle was career Army, first in the 82nd Airborne, then in the Rangers, and then in the Special Forces. He just retired, he's 44. My father was in the U.S. Coast Guard, and I lived on USCG bases for the first 7 years of my life.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:27:29 PM »

Decided to go dig through my stuff and pull up the Civil War records of my great, great, great grandfathers, all of whom(except one) fought for the Confederacy.

- William Sewell fought with the 31st North Carolina Infantry brigade, under General Thomas Lanier Clingman, a former Senator. They saw action at Cold Harbor and the Siege at Petersburg most notably. He obtained the rank of corporal

- Lewis Herring was a private in the 38th North Carolina Infantry, a component of the Army of Northern Virginia under the command of General William Pender(killed at Gettysburg). They also saw action at Cold Harbor, as well as at the 2nd Battle of Manassas, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville.

-William Cook fought in the 3rd North Carolina Infantry Regiment, also seeing action at Cold Harbor, Gettysburg, Appomattox, Chancellorsville, and Fredericksburg.

- James Medlin was a member of the 1st Battalion, North Carolina Heavy Artillery, which stayed in North Carolina from its formation in 1863 until the end of the war, seeing action at Fort Fisher and Fort Anderson. He entered as a corporal and left as a private, don't know what that was about Tongue

- William A. Robbins was a member of the 1st Regiment of the North Carolina Artillery, as part of the Army of Northern Virginia, taking part in their campaigns.

- Henry Strickland fought with the 31st North Carolina Infantry, which saw action at Cold Harbor, Petersburg, and Bentonville
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies