Mwai Kibaki dead at 90
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:31:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mwai Kibaki dead at 90
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mwai Kibaki dead at 90  (Read 283 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2022, 11:09:59 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/22/africa/kenya-mwai-kibaki-obit-intl/index.html

Mwai Kibaki, one of the biggest names in Kenyan politics and the nation's third president, has died, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has announced. He was 90.

His political career spanned decades, including serving as vice president to Daniel arap Moi, the man he replaced as president of the East African nation in 2002.

Kibaki, an economist and passionate golf player, left behind a complicated legacy when he stepped down after his second presidential term ended in 2013. He not only oversaw a new constitution that brought hope for change, he led Kenya during a period of robust economic growth and major infrastructure developments.

But he was also at the helm during the most violent election in the country's history, when more than 1,200 people died in bloody ethnic battles after disputed 2007 polls.

Kibaki's death was confirmed in a statement issued by Kenyatta, who said the country would observe a period of national mourning from Friday until his burial.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 03:09:31 PM »

I'm starting to slowly turn into an African. I decided to go onto CNN international and found an article that I took delight in that oil has been discovered in my capitol city of Nairobi. President Mwai Kibaki calls it a major breakthrough. I am starting to call President Kibaki my president! I'm going to try to learn as much about my new home before I move there as I can. So, when I refer to my President I could be referring to Mwai Kibaki or Barack Obama, so I will distinguish them by name.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 04:52:01 AM »

The 2007 crisis in Kenya certain did no harm to Barack Obama's profile.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 08:26:24 AM »

Never heard of this guy before. But RIP all the same.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies